LM3886 good enough for 3 way amp.?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

I am trying to drive my 3 way spk. with active amplification. This system needs about 50watts/ch.
I got an active xover, 24CX-4 from TDM Design INC., Hafler pre amp and some old pwr. amps.
I do not know if is worth it to build a 6 ch amplification ~ (250-300us$) with LM3886 or to buy a second hand (~500us$) home theater 7.1 receiver.
I think the quality of such receiver is not that good, from the other hand I don't know how good are
The LM3886. The spk. I have are of good quality and are working much, much better with active amplification comparable to passive xover and stereo amplification.
So who has some sound experience with the chip amp LM3886 as multi ch amp?
Best regards
Williams

Indeed, if you open up some Genelec monitors you will find they have active crossovers with LM3886 amps inside. There are some more in the sub woofer boxes.

I am still slowly working on building such an active system. Four amps built so far, they sound fine.

Hi,
building a Monoblock is relatively easy.
Adding a second channel makes the cabling quite complex.

If you go for a 6channel amp then build it up in stages and get each stage working wihout hum loops or buzzes before coupling up the next stage.
I would recommend you test each channel as a mono to prove each circuit and then combine them one at a time.

There was a poor chap on a recent thread with a 14channel amplifier. We were all lost for a solution to his problem(s). He has gone very quiet, I hope he's OK.

Williams Audio said:
Hi all,
Pink mouse, what is that application you talking about?
Nordic, what is rev c and a normal GC?
There is a schematic that I am missing some how? Some thing beside the National application note?
Well if you have it please send me too.
Williams

I believe he's referring to Mauro Penasa's MyRef.c, an amplifier kit availible from Twisted Pear Audio.

http://twistedpearaudio.com/

The rev C scematic is available on this forum, you don't need to get a kit for it, although , the TP kits are realy high quality. As opposed to being the main peanut in the packet, he LM3886 sits in a feedback loop with a voltage to current converter function, If I understand correctly it produces 100A per 1 volt of signal. A very unique design a normal GC is a normal gainclone, I guess non inverted.

I am trying to drive my 3 way spk. with active amplification. This system needs about 50watts/ch.
I got an active xover, 24CX-4 from TDM Design INC., Hafler pre amp and some old pwr. amps.
I do not know if is worth it to build a 6 ch amplification ~ (250-300us$) with LM3886 or to buy a second hand (~500us$) home theater 7.1 receiver.
I think the quality of such receiver is not that good, from the other hand I don't know how good are
The LM3886. The spk. I have are of good quality and are working much, much better with active amplification comparable to passive xover and stereo amplification.
So who has some sound experience with the chip amp LM3886 as multi ch amp?
Best regards
Williams

Hi there,
This is exactly what i want to do.
Did you manage? Have posted your work somewhere?
Thanks

I've done it several times. I did a stereo 3 way using Rob Elliot's crossovers and 3886s. I never could get the hum out of Rob's crossovers, so that's been put on the back-burner until I build my own crossovers. I've done two 2-way 5 channel amps (using two 3886s and two speakers for each bass channel, so 15 "channels" total), one using a custom PCB for the crossover and Brian GT boards and the other with active crossovers on perfboard and P2P wired 3886s. One belongs to a friend and one is waiting until I buy another house and put in a home theater. I use 19" 4U rackmounted server chasis and a big 750VA torroid. I don't have any pictures right now and I'm away from home for the next five months, so I won't be able to get any soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.