LM3886 at 40 volts ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Before the flak starts let me make a small clarification.
I want to drive a 16 ohm load !
So this is close to its max supply ratings but within the dissipation ratings and well within its current rating.
Will it withstand it or break down immediately or after some hours of use ??

Hi,
if you intend pushing the supply voltage to the limit, then do keep in mind that the transformer has inherent regulation (important if one channel gets disconnected, even if only temporarily) and that the mains input voltage varies (normally within the tolerance allowed by the authorities).
The maximum PSU voltage assuming highest voltage conditions can be very much higher than the nomimal voltage predicted using that formula.
Take care to do all the sums and not just the ones you like (the answers for).

Thanks for all the suggestions.
So I guess if I use a +/- 40 volt regulated supply and use a 16 ohm load I should be OK and not expect any kind of failure of the chip.
The regulated supply should take care of supply sag from the transformer and capacitor on load and also mains voltage surge if the mains does go up by say 15 % (?) from the nominal value .

ashok said:
Thanks for all the suggestions.
So I guess if I use a +/- 40 volt regulated supply and use a 16 ohm load I should be OK and not expect any kind of failure of the chip.
The regulated supply should take care of supply sag from the transformer and capacitor on load and also mains voltage surge if the mains does go up by say 15 % (?) from the nominal value .

Why not use a bigger transformer ? -- the regulator consumes energy which could go into listening.

Yes the chip does sound very nice at higher voltage. Not sure if the rest of the circuit contributes.
6922 input tube running at +100V dc and not 35Vdc.
20,000uF per rail.
Certainly gets much hotter even with music signals and needs a much bigger heatsink . A very 'small' draft of air make a huge diff to the sink temperature.
So maybe a temperature triggered computer fan running at low voltage ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.