diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   enclosures.. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/90491-enclosures.html)

Keyoke 17th November 2006 01:22 AM

enclosures..

So where's a good place to pickup enclosures? I know about par-metal and thlaudio.com.. I actually like some of the stuff that's at thlaudio, but I don't want to deal with the overseas ordering..

Anyplace local to the US that makes a decent enclosure? I thought about the hammond enclosures, but I'm not sure if they have the removable face-plate.. drilling the plate while it's already on the chassis isn't something I really want to deal with.

Ideally, I'd be able to have someone like 'front panel express' (http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/) make the front/back panels..

Thoughts?

Nordic 17th November 2006 05:57 AM

I don't think a chipamp, is worth that expense...

DcibeL 17th November 2006 06:15 AM

I do believe that the expense is worth it, if the end result is exactly what you want then cost is not such a major factor.

Any Hammond chassis I have used has had a removable front and back plate. Also check out ATI .

SRMcGee 17th November 2006 11:52 AM

Keyoke:

I built four gainclones in enclosures supplied by Horace Atkinson at iagaudio.com. I mapped out the holes that needed to be drilled (3 of various sizes on the front panel and far more on the rear) and sent him a diagram. The cost to have him do it was minimal -- quite a bargain, in fact.

Incidentally, his chassis are exceptional-looking and very well built. The photos on the website don't do them justice.

Regards,
Scott

Nordic 17th November 2006 02:53 PM

Some nice stuff there Scott, Although I'm a firm believer a case should not cost more than its contents...

I love that chromed base for a valve amp.

lgreen 17th November 2006 04:34 PM

my recommendation

I recommend either-
(a) par-metal ("Antek" on ebay sells them too)
(b) getting a broken or cheap hifi item on EBay and having frontpanelexpress create front and/or rear panels for you. You can discard the originals and no one will know that the case is a denon/pioneer/ whatever. My Gainclone is acually a Kyocera CD player with a new front panel. That said make sure you can flush mount a front panel on the old component, some are easier than others in how to do this. You can use black spraypaint like rust-o-leaum to "erase" the prior back panel if you want.

Nordic 17th November 2006 05:31 PM

Its pretty easy to apply a wood veneer over an old amp's face, and to spray the rest matt black...

phn 17th November 2006 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nordic
I don't think a chipamp, is worth that expense...
I don't understand that reasoning at all. Lots of tube amps aren't worth the additional cost of potted transformers, yet people buy hem all the time.

Quote:

Originally posted by Nordic
Some nice stuff there Scott, Although I'm a firm believer a case should not cost more than its contents...
That puts the T amp crowd in a very tight spot.

I think you shouldn't spend more than 10 pct of what you paid for your speakers on the amp. While I firmly believe that, it just doesn't work in practice. I sold a pair of speakers costing 3-4 times as much as the ones I have now. By that logic I should sell my current amp and by one costing 1/3 of the price.

You should buy and spend whatever you want. No more, no less.

falcott 17th November 2006 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found this old 1960s-70s hi fi tuner on the roadside and gutted it. My VBIGC is being built into it right now. The front panel will be replaced with a piece of etched aluminium, and the battered veneered sides have been replaced with solid pieces of rosewood. It should end up to be a cool looking retro-inspired amp (I'm hoping :D )

lgreen 17th November 2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by falcott
I found this old 1960s-70s hi fi tuner on the roadside and gutted it. My VBIGC is being built into it right now. The front panel will be replaced with a piece of etched aluminium, and the battered veneered sides have been replaced with solid pieces of rosewood. It should end up to be a cool looking retro-inspired amp (I'm hoping :D )
Very nice, its going to need some vent holes for cooling...good luck with that!