New Chipamp Kit Maker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EZamp

Actually its a very sound design no mubo jumbo inverted buffered DC servo design, module can be bridged and probably parelleled.
As for the price $65.00 for PC board all parts hardware and heatsink is not to bad from what Ive seen.
Some other competitors give you far less...... and for $55.00 you get a transformer and power supply board.

I'm sorry...I don't wanna poo-poo the EZamps guys...I commend any effort to bring a decent PCB to the diy-ers. However, the Audio Sector dual mono kit works out to effectively $28 USD per channel and includes the rectifier board.

Audio Sector

Amp/Rectifier Board $28
Avel Lindberg 90VA toroidal $20
Heatsink $5

Total $53

EZamp

Amp Board $65

Power Supply $55

Total $120

Do I have my math wrong? :D

CarlosT said:
I'm sorry...I don't wanna poo-poo the EZamps guys...I commend any effort to bring a decent PCB to the diy-ers. However, the Audio Sector dual mono kit works out to effectively $28 USD per channel and includes the rectifier board.

Audio Sector

Amp/Rectifier Board $28
Avel Lindberg 90VA toroidal $20
Heatsink $5

Total $53

EZamp

Amp Board $65

Power Supply $55

Total $120

Do I have my math wrong? :D

Yes - $80 covers the trafo as well for the PSU. (If there is a trafo with the $55 version, it's less than 160VA, and is hence not big enough).

Hower, the price breakdown is as follows:

EZamps:
$130 - 2 $65 modules
$80 - 1 power supply unit with transformer.

Total: $210 + preamp components

Audiosector:
$57 - dual-mono LM3875 classic kit
$46 - 250VA Avel transformer from Parts Express

Total : $103 + preamp components.

Or, if you need the output power:

$73 - LM4780 dual-mono kit
$65 - 330VA Avel transformer.

Total: $138.

The latter is good for 120 watts paralleled into two ohms (essentially, 2 EZamps in parallel) or about the same run bridged into 8.

Spasticteapot said:
I'm a little leery of the "spider-star" PCB mumbo-jumbo. I've heard from both engineers and hifi repairman that you should always go for the thickest, widest traces possible, even if they're somewhat lumpy.

I haven't visited in a while - didin't even know there were responses to this post. Heh.

All you need to do is ask. I'm the last person to feed you a line. Spider Star is a variation of the dual star ground layout: a highly regarded PCB technique. Simply put, there are two star grounds; one in the amplifier, and one in the power supply. Two amplifiers gives you three star grounds making equilateral ground lengths from the supply to the speaker output.

I can only claim what the numbers prove: It's the most trouble-free ground system for a kit design. If I could control all manner of connections made to the amp, I probably wouldn't need this technique. It sure doesn't hurt, though.

To answer these other questions; the PointZero includes all parts - down to the hardware, wires, fused IEC socket and preterminated transformer leads. The boards have screw terminal blocks (not cheap), onboard fuses (that work!) and every component value has its own sealed bag. Ever spend two hours sorting 50 parts thrown into a sandwich bag? What happens if you have a 20mV DC offset? Well, with most kits you have a problem. With the PointZero, you have no problems. The DC Servo handles this for you.

The kit isn't for everyone. The price is steep for many but covers a lot of footwork that the end user can totally avoid. This is the entire point of EZAmps: Once the kit is done, there are no adjustments. There is no frustration. To this point, I have never had a call back, a return or a failure. I have sold over 50 kits to date - nothing spectacular, but not nothing.

I have purchased (and anxiously awaiting) a pair of the amps + the power supply and some odds and ends.

I made the purchase for practical reasons. Others may see the price as a bit high. I see the added cost as insurance. Insurance that all the parts are the right parts. Insurance that once I start the project, I will have the documentation and support to finish the project. Insurance that I continue this new found hobby after my first project, instead of stopping halfway through...frustrated and beaten. Personally, I would rather spend a few more dollars for a project that I am sure I can complete.

There will be plenty of opportunities after this project to make grander and more complicated toys. I'm even already thinking about tweeks I can preform on the power supply.

That said, I think the kits look solidly engineered. The products seem aimed at a reasonable balance of price vs. performance. The manuals look very well thought out and complete.

That isn't to say that there aren't other good products out there. Some may ultimately be cheaper, depending on how you measure cost. Some my sound better to your ears. We all make purchasing decisions based on what's important to us.

EZAmps offer one stop shopping. They are offering a gateway for people to enter this amazingly complex and overwhelming world of DIY Audio. We need those new recruits to keep this hobby vibrant and growing. Bravo to EZAmps, and hopefully we will see more products from them in the future.

salesmonster said:
I have purchased (and anxiously awaiting) a pair of the amps + the power supply and some odds and ends.

I made the purchase for practical reasons. Others may see the price as a bit high. I see the added cost as insurance. Insurance that all the parts are the right parts. Insurance that once I start the project, I will have the documentation and support to finish the project. Insurance that I continue this new found hobby after my first project, instead of stopping halfway through...frustrated and beaten. Personally, I would rather spend a few more dollars for a project that I am sure I can complete.

There will be plenty of opportunities after this project to make grander and more complicated toys. I'm even already thinking about tweeks I can preform on the power supply.

That said, I think the kits look solidly engineered. The products seem aimed at a reasonable balance of price vs. performance. The manuals look very well thought out and complete.

That isn't to say that there aren't other good products out there. Some may ultimately be cheaper, depending on how you measure cost. Some my sound better to your ears. We all make purchasing decisions based on what's important to us.

EZAmps offer one stop shopping. They are offering a gateway for people to enter this amazingly complex and overwhelming world of DIY Audio. We need those new recruits to keep this hobby vibrant and growing. Bravo to EZAmps, and hopefully we will see more products from them in the future.

Hello! I got your order in yesterday. I will be shipping it tomorrow with all the accessories you wanted. Thanks, and please let me know if there is anything else I can do!

Aaron Hammett

goldkenn said:
I am not sure but just a feeling that, the PCB layout seems like this is a China OEM kits?

Or of course someone can say just China too many copy cat so should be China kits looks like Western design?

Thank you! I respect your observation and am quite flattered. However, the PointZero is 100% my design (Envision Electronics owner of EZAmps.com in Dayton, Ohio), from concept to manufacturing. The FR-4 boards themselves are fabricated in China - but that is where the similarities end. ;) Nobody else is manufacturing this amp, to my knowledge. I have researched it thoroughly. :yes:

I a sure this is your design which you are not simply buy something then stuck on your own label, however, if you print the board in China, I am said to tell that even a Chinese from Hong Kong as me will not trust Chinese from Mainland, so good luck and don't ever think about save cost for making much profit then place production in China..... except you save cost but then sell cheap, make even China copy cat have no space to steal, or you have your own investment for you own prodcution line, and will check production fequently in person at China.

goldkenn said:
I a sure this is your design which you are not simply buy something then stuck on your own label, however, if you print the board in China, I am said to tell that even a Chinese from Hong Kong as me will not trust Chinese from Mainland, so good luck and don't ever think about save cost for making much profit then place production in China..... except you save cost but then sell cheap, make even China copy cat have no space to steal, or you have your own investment for you own prodcution line, and will check production fequently in person at China.

I buy some parts from China, and my boards are produced in Shenzhen, but none of my products are assembled in China. If I do ever plan to have anything made there, I will restrict to parts or assemblies that are finalized in USA - so it would be very difficult to copy if they do not know the end product. I will not make original design products in mainland China without inspections.

They look like very nice products, as a newcomer in the DIY audio chip amp world, I am willing to spend a few more bucks for something that comes with everything...

I have looked at your site thoroughly and like what I see, read through the manual and it all seemed very easy to follow, I look forward to using your products very soon, as my first Hi-Fi attempt at an amplifier...

Cheers,
Sergio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.