My DIY recycled, retro, and really Neat-0 Gainclone box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my most recent Art Metal project. I've also been working on my own LM3875 amplifier boards that should fit inside just fine, with plenty of room for a volume potentiometer. (the PSU would be outboard.)

The sides are Socket 370 heatsinks leftover from dead PC's, the lexan was a piece of scrap I found, and the copper bits were leftovers from someone else's project. The epoxy, however, was not recycled.

It's not done yet - I'm adding a small faceplate, polishing it, and adding a clear varnish to the colored-metal bits to bring out their color better.

(If you're wondering, I applied bits of flux to the shaped piece of metal, and heated it, while cooling it carefully. End result? Pretty oxidation. The texture was produced by good, old-fashioned hammering.)

If anyone's interested, I'm going to be building quite a few of these, and many will be for sale. The next one's going to be made out of wood instead of Lexan, and likely use larger heatsinks as well.

It should be visible now.

Attachments

• img_1272.jpg
    img_1272.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 826
CarlosT said:
That's art, man...now will it work? :D

It should. I'm following my general rule of "If your heatsink is too big, it's not too small."

I figure I'll use a Slot A heatsink I have sitting around on the inside of a 1950's or 60's chrome 2-slice toaster. Convection, if nothing else, should keep it cool, but I might add a super-low-noise undervolted Panaflo fan like this one: http://www.directron.com/60l1a.html. (They make even less noise when running on 7v.)

I know I'm going to use EL backlights and VU meters on the toaster, but I can't figure out if I should put some meters on the side, use it as a power amp, or something else entirely.

Perhaps I should find my donor toaster first. It's not like dead toasters are worth very much, and some of the older ones would likely make fine heastinks if I use a 1/8" copper shim between the toaster wall and the amplifier.

When I explained what I wanted to do for my "found object" assignment, the look on the Art Metal teacher's face was priceless.

Hey, I was thinking of using one of those old (real old) toasters for an amp case too!

Have a look at these gorgeous creations (especially the "Toast-O-Lator". How cool is that? It even looks like an amp! :cool: ) here:
www.toaster.org/1940.html

or the "Half-round Sunbeam" and the "Gazelle" (!) on this page:
www.toaster.org/1920.html

I'm trying to think of something witty to say about toasters and burned chips, but I can't think of anything right now :clown:

Spasticteapot said:
I'm putting it in a toaster.
That sounds like an awesome idea! A co-worker of mine put a Mauro amp into a toolbox. It ended up looking quite cool and was great for portability with the handle on top, but I think the original spark for the idea was "what can I use for an enclosure that's cheap".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.