Los Angeles brick and mortar that sells toroidal transformers and Nat Semi LM3875TF - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2006, 10:39 PM   #1
jduffy is offline jduffy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Los Angeles brick and mortar that sells toroidal transformers and Nat Semi LM3875TF

I'm trying to get the parts together to build a Gainclone amp. Have the caps and resistors already, but I need the transformer and the Nat Semi LM3875TF. No luck finding a brick and mortar store yet in the Los Angeles area with this items.

Any ideas out there? I've asked the people at a couple of electronic parts stores but they don't know of any places.

Thanks for the help.
Old 6th November 2006, 10:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default parts

www.partsexpress.com sells avel linburg transformers
www.digikey.com for the chips
Old 6th November 2006, 11:44 PM   #3
CarlosT is offline CarlosT  United States
diyAudio Member

Who sells Bicron toroidals? They make plain vanilla 60hz toroidals.
Old 7th November 2006, 05:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Jduffy,

I live in the O.C. and have the parts you are looking for. I am not a merchant, just have extras. They are new and were purchased from reputable companies. If you are interested just send me an e-mail.
Old 7th November 2006, 08:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry but I can't send email because I'm a new member. I have to wait until I have X number of posts first.

Thanks for the offer though.
Old 7th November 2006, 01:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The fellow who sells torroids on EBay is worth a visit -- AnTek -- these are stepper motor/CNC toroids -- obviously from China and obviously "very strong stuff" -- put toroid in the EBay search engine. Bringing transformers from New Jersey to California is like coals to newcastle, however. AnTek also sells nice aluminum and steel cases.

As a newbie, I would try to dissuade you from using the TF version of the LM3875 or LM3886 -- reason being that the insulation is a real heat barrier. While the insulation makes it more convenient to use, the thermal impedance is something like 1 degree C/ watt. This translates to a whoppingly bigger heat sink for the same amount of power dissipation. I have found no difference between the T and TF versions when listening (but others have differing opinions.)

Try using the mica insulator vresion with silicon grease on each side -- you can use pretty high mounting pressure with these two chips. (something you can't do with the LM4780.)
Old 7th November 2006, 04:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Digikey sells some waxy stuff that is supposedly superior to grease...Ultrastick? Sounds pretty groovy...

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Aavi...Ultrastick.pdf
Old 25th November 2006, 09:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help.

A guy hooked me up with a nice transformer and a couple of the LM3875s. I went with the insulated variety but not a problem cooling. I was an overclocker back in the day and have plenty of heatsinks.

It took a couple of hours to build but no major hassles. It was crazy simple wiring it up.

Not a bad sounding amp, particularly when you figure it cost me about $65 and I had fun building it. Best part is that I can keep tweaking the thing when I get bored with it.

Good times!
Old 25th November 2006, 02:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by jduffy
Thanks for the help.

A guy hooked me up with a nice transformer and a couple of the LM3875s. I went with the insulated variety but not a problem cooling. I was an overclocker back in the day and have plenty of heatsinks.

Good times!
I wonder when we're going to see the first watercooled gainclone?

Just curious, but why not use computer-grade thermal paste, like Arctic Silver? Computer overclockers swear by the stuff, and with heavy thermal loads (like a power amplifier or Prescott), it's been show to drop the temperature by a few degrees.
Old 25th November 2006, 04:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

How 'bout these little nifty copper heatsinks? Would they add much cooling to the print side of an LM3875?

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/c...ry/ramsink.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!