Xtreme Noob - Summing Channels For Mono 3875

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered a 3875 kit and I want to build a small single powered speaker for a kid to plug in his iPod. The problem is that the iPod as all MP3 players has stereo output. What is the simplest way to combine the channels to feed a single 3875?

I also need help picking out a pot volume control. I tried to follow a thread on the PEC pot but got lost by page 12 :rolleyes:

How much output does an MP3 player put out? Would the gain be set higher in the 3875 for this application?

The speaker can only handle about 30W-50W or so.

Thanks for all the help...I need LOTS of it. I'm an artist...not a scientist :D

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Use the inverting schematic in the datasheet, and connect each input via its own 10K resistor. Headphone out is likely to be a bit more than line level, so I'd start with a gain of about 15. Start with a normal 20K or so log pot, you can always go more exotic later, but to be honest, I wouldn't worry that much for your application. You could always forget about a pot at all, and just use the volume on the ipod as normal.

Here is a scematic of what you can use to sum the inputs and have a volume control potentiometer.

Attachments

• volumecntrl.jpeg
    volumecntrl.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 359
I usually Google the sh_t outta stuff. What are my keywords at least, Pragmatic Al? You're asking me to Google how to slice off my own silicon and mica wafers for homemade transistors? :D

I actually searched the topic here extensively but most cool threads here die quickly yet the ones expounding one's prowess seem to go on forever...strange forum this DIYaudio :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.