help plz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i assembled a audio sys for my computer ( 8 inches dainty 100 watts RMS... 5 watt each midrange .. 5 watt tweeter with a 40+40 watts amp) its sounds excellent when connected to my mp3 player .... no noise at all.... but when connected to the computer too much noise... pls help...des it have nethin to do with the earth,,,

If you're using your on-board sound card, don't be surprised about all the noise you're hearing, it's pretty normal. The DAC is in the vicinity of a lot of other digital circuitry which radiates some EMI, and usually, the switching regulators for the Vcore aren't too far away, either.

Get a (better) PCI sound card; for a test, borrow one from a friend if you can, and see how it works out. Either that, or get an external sound card or DAC, and that should sort out the noise issues. :smash:

I had the same problem with a PC based system. Khron is spot on. I tried a USB sound card and a DAC. Found the best solution (for me) was just a high quality sound card.

The DAC had the best quality but, not nearly as convienient as the sound card. (no line in)

Check on Ebay for a deal. Or better yet, as Khron says, borrow and test before buying. If you have a noisy Power Supply, a good sound card might not help.

Best wishes!:) :)

if you are using a "soundmax" onboard sound chip make sure to mute the "bassboost" channel in the windows mixer. by default it puts a huge and i mean HUGE boost to the low end and it sounds horrible.

also turn the output up on the windows mixer as much as you can without it distorting on loud material , and then turn it down on your amplifier. at least you will get as good s/n ratio as you can.

How did you power it up? It may be a "ground loop" issue, when there are couple of grounds going to your amp: one through a shield of your audio cable, another from a power supply in your computer to the power outlet, and from the power outlet again to the computer, but near the power supply. Computer's switching power supply generates relatively high current of noises that causes corresponding voltage drops on ground wires that will be audible, they go to to your amp's input in series with the signal.

PS: Apart from the (sensible) lowering of the noise floor, your ears will surely appreciate the improvement in the frequency response of the (new) DAC as opposed to the on-board sound "chip".

I know i could hear the improvement even in cheap plastic "multimedia" speakers, so with any better speakers, the difference should be even greater.

In extremis, after you get a new sound card, you might want to improve its power supply (changing caps on a PCI card or using a separate well-filtered & regulated supply if you'll go for a USB interface). :smash:

Good luck shopping ;)

how it goes

so this abt the wirin.... comp head fone out to amp ... amp to crossover ..from crossover direct to tweeters n sub woofers... and again from crossover to stepdown... from step down to again an amp 4 the midrange.. from that mid range amp to midrange spkrs.... the crossover and other circuitry is kept very close to my UPS.... so how do i sort out the ground loop issue???????plz help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.