12dc ssr for chip amp problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey maybe you guys could help me out here.
I just installed a dc trigger ssr in my chip amp but it makes my transformers buzz badly, when I remove the ssr,of course it goes away. It is a CRYDOM SOLID-STATE RELAY D2440-10 dc controlled(3-32vdc, rated to 240v / 40 amps. My trannys are 2x 400va dual 25v. (The relay is in series with the power in to the trannies.) Is the ssr faulty or should I get a mechanical type?
Just a note, I tried it out on my shop radio and I didn't seem to get any buzz.

SSR

Solid state relays can be sensitive to DC components on the AC line, most newer ssr that are optically isolated do not have this problem.
If the ssr is creating a triggered DC component via its internal switching your chip amp could be very sensitive to this depending on construction, bypassing ect.... I would check another ssr then try a standard relay.

Okay, I guess I am understanding. Since the ac going through the ssr isn't pure due to the internal switch of the ssr.
I will probably go and get a mechanical type, although the town I live in doesn't have to much on the electronics front...back to the internet for buying.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.