best op amp for Ipod - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Default best op amp for Ipod

I would like to build a system for an ipod. I have a radioshack $20 amp. I removed the installed op amp and add sockets. I want to get rid of sound of that digital sound of the ipod and correct some brightest with the amp.

I'll like to try

1. the darkest op amp

2. mid dark op amp

3. a mellow op amp


please suggest some op amp

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 03:56 PM   #2
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Trying to change tonality with different op-amps may be a dead-end route because they don't add any of their own.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 06:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
I found that fet op amp,sound different from op amp with no fet at input. I will more than likely end up using a fet op amp because they sound more mellow,the question is which fet op amp
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 08:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bigwill

Thanks for your response. I use to have those some ideas until I made a vsps. I first used ne5532 it sounded horrible, then I tried the tl072 things got better, ended up with opa2132

I give the unaltered and the modify amps, a listen; I must say the difference between the two op amp is clear.

I point of this thread is to get suggestions from people who switch out op amps. I really donít want to go thru 10, 20 or 30 op amps to find one to best balance out this amp.

I still need suggestion people
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cowican Bay , vancouver island
Well if the TL072 sounded better than the NE5532 this it is probably because the Input impednace going to the opamp is rather High (with low input impedances the NE5532 sounds much better than the TL072) so I suggest that you maybe try the OPA2134 as it is a very nice sounding Opamp....

Another one you might try is the OPA2604 as it is also a very nice sounding opamp.....

The thing about trying to swith out opamps to get a better sound is that most circuits are optimized arround the Opamp used so it can be very difficult to get a totally different opamp to behave properly in a circuit that is not designed for it, at least without altering the values of other components in the Circuit....


Cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
stokessd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grantham, NH
I don't try to change the sound with gain stages like an op-amp (it's a losing proposition vs. fixing the root cause), but I really like the opa2132 and opa2134, as all around good sounding op-amps. I haven't found anything I like better. I used to use a motorolla video op-amp, but these burr-brown, er, TI op-amps are great.


Sheldon
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Minion
Well if the TL072 sounded better than the NE5532 this it is probably because the Input impednace going to the opamp is rather High (with low input impedances the NE5532 sounds much better than the TL072)
I agree,using it to drive lm3886 parallel amp

Quote:
Originally posted by Minion

Another one you might try is the OPA2604 as it is also a very nice sounding opamp.....
will do

Quote:
Originally posted by Minion

The thing about trying to swith out opamps to get a better sound is that most circuits are optimized arround the Opamp used so it can be very difficult to get a totally different opamp to behave properly in a circuit that is not designed for it, at least without altering the values of other components in the Circuit....
Cheers
this circuit use the dual verison of the 741(there no place to go but up). I will try the ne5532 and the 4580


Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 12:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: solo
Try 2xAD825 (SMD Op-amp) plus Browndog Adapter...

I Have try NE5532, OPA2134PA, JRC4556AD, JRC4580D, JRC5532D, AD825, THS4032
In my Ear the best is AD825. this op-amp sound smooth , more detail, more musical than other op-amp.
THS4032 sound good too, but it's very difficult to make this op-amp stable..
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 02:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by stokessd
I don't try to change the sound with gain stages like an op-amp (it's a losing proposition vs. fixing the root cause),


Sheldon
I agree but this is a $20,that will be used with an Ipod. I want to upgrade the amp a little and dont want to put in a lot of effort.

Quote:
Originally posted by dytln_02
Try 2xAD825 (SMD Op-amp) plus Browndog Adapter...

I Have try NE5532, OPA2134PA, JRC4556AD, JRC4580D, JRC5532D, AD825, THS4032
In my Ear the best is AD825. this op-amp sound smooth , more detail, more musical than other op-amp.
THS4032 sound good too, but it's very difficult to make this op-amp stable..
thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 03:45 AM   #10
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ..
the iPod's output can drive ~80 mA into the 16 Ohm buds to within only a~ 100mV of the rail

90% of the op amps you can put in a dip socket will give up at <1/2 the output current, usually at several V less than the rails

the biggest sound differences would be expected to be due the inadequate drive most DIP op amps could muster
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:52 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2