diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   best op amp for Ipod (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/88837-best-op-amp-ipod.html)

jaudio 23rd October 2006 11:47 AM

best op amp for Ipod

I would like to build a system for an ipod. I have a radioshack $20 amp. I removed the installed op amp and add sockets. I want to get rid of sound of that digital sound of the ipod and correct some brightest with the amp.

I'll like to try

1. the darkest op amp

2. mid dark op amp

3. a mellow op amp

please suggest some op amp

Thanks

bigwill 23rd October 2006 03:56 PM

Trying to change tonality with different op-amps may be a dead-end route because they don't add any of their own.

jaudio 23rd October 2006 06:24 PM

I found that fet op amp,sound different from op amp with no fet at input. I will more than likely end up using a fet op amp because they sound more mellow,the question is which fet op amp

jaudio 23rd October 2006 08:58 PM

Bigwill

Thanks for your response. I use to have those some ideas until I made a vsps. I first used ne5532 it sounded horrible, then I tried the tl072 things got better, ended up with opa2132

I give the unaltered and the modify amps, a listen; I must say the difference between the two op amp is clear.

I point of this thread is to get suggestions from people who switch out op amps. I really donít want to go thru 10, 20 or 30 op amps to find one to best balance out this amp.

I still need suggestion people

Minion 23rd October 2006 09:11 PM

Well if the TL072 sounded better than the NE5532 this it is probably because the Input impednace going to the opamp is rather High (with low input impedances the NE5532 sounds much better than the TL072) so I suggest that you maybe try the OPA2134 as it is a very nice sounding Opamp....

Another one you might try is the OPA2604 as it is also a very nice sounding opamp.....

The thing about trying to swith out opamps to get a better sound is that most circuits are optimized arround the Opamp used so it can be very difficult to get a totally different opamp to behave properly in a circuit that is not designed for it, at least without altering the values of other components in the Circuit....

Cheers

stokessd 23rd October 2006 09:13 PM

I don't try to change the sound with gain stages like an op-amp (it's a losing proposition vs. fixing the root cause), but I really like the opa2132 and opa2134, as all around good sounding op-amps. I haven't found anything I like better. I used to use a motorolla video op-amp, but these burr-brown, er, TI op-amps are great.

Sheldon

jaudio 23rd October 2006 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Minion
Well if the TL072 sounded better than the NE5532 this it is probably because the Input impednace going to the opamp is rather High (with low input impedances the NE5532 sounds much better than the TL072)
I agree,using it to drive lm3886 parallel amp

Quote:

Another one you might try is the OPA2604 as it is also a very nice sounding opamp.....

will do

Quote:

The thing about trying to swith out opamps to get a better sound is that most circuits are optimized arround the Opamp used so it can be very difficult to get a totally different opamp to behave properly in a circuit that is not designed for it, at least without altering the values of other components in the Circuit....
Cheers

this circuit use the dual verison of the 741(there no place to go but up). I will try the ne5532 and the 4580

Thanks

dytln_02 24th October 2006 12:41 AM

Try 2xAD825 (SMD Op-amp) plus Browndog Adapter...

I Have try NE5532, OPA2134PA, JRC4556AD, JRC4580D, JRC5532D, AD825, THS4032
In my Ear the best is AD825. this op-amp sound smooth , more detail, more musical than other op-amp.
THS4032 sound good too, but it's very difficult to make this op-amp stable..

jaudio 24th October 2006 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by stokessd
I don't try to change the sound with gain stages like an op-amp (it's a losing proposition vs. fixing the root cause),

Sheldon

I agree but this is a $20,that will be used with an Ipod. I want to upgrade the amp a little and dont want to put in a lot of effort.

Quote:

Originally posted by dytln_02
Try 2xAD825 (SMD Op-amp) plus Browndog Adapter...

I Have try NE5532, OPA2134PA, JRC4556AD, JRC4580D, JRC5532D, AD825, THS4032
In my Ear the best is AD825. this op-amp sound smooth , more detail, more musical than other op-amp.
THS4032 sound good too, but it's very difficult to make this op-amp stable..

thanks

jcx 24th October 2006 03:45 AM

the iPod's output can drive ~80 mA into the 16 Ohm buds to within only a~ 100mV of the rail

90% of the op amps you can put in a dip socket will give up at <1/2 the output current, usually at several V less than the rails

the biggest sound differences would be expected to be due the inadequate drive most DIP op amps could muster