best op amp for Ipod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a system for an ipod. I have a radioshack $20 amp. I removed the installed op amp and add sockets. I want to get rid of sound of that digital sound of the ipod and correct some brightest with the amp.

I'll like to try

1. the darkest op amp

2. mid dark op amp

3. a mellow op amp

please suggest some op amp

Thanks

Bigwill

Thanks for your response. I use to have those some ideas until I made a vsps. I first used ne5532 it sounded horrible, then I tried the tl072 things got better, ended up with opa2132

I give the unaltered and the modify amps, a listen; I must say the difference between the two op amp is clear.

I point of this thread is to get suggestions from people who switch out op amps. I really don’t want to go thru 10, 20 or 30 op amps to find one to best balance out this amp.

I still need suggestion people

Well if the TL072 sounded better than the NE5532 this it is probably because the Input impednace going to the opamp is rather High (with low input impedances the NE5532 sounds much better than the TL072) so I suggest that you maybe try the OPA2134 as it is a very nice sounding Opamp....

Another one you might try is the OPA2604 as it is also a very nice sounding opamp.....

The thing about trying to swith out opamps to get a better sound is that most circuits are optimized arround the Opamp used so it can be very difficult to get a totally different opamp to behave properly in a circuit that is not designed for it, at least without altering the values of other components in the Circuit....

Cheers

I don't try to change the sound with gain stages like an op-amp (it's a losing proposition vs. fixing the root cause), but I really like the opa2132 and opa2134, as all around good sounding op-amps. I haven't found anything I like better. I used to use a motorolla video op-amp, but these burr-brown, er, TI op-amps are great.

Sheldon

Minion said:
Well if the TL072 sounded better than the NE5532 this it is probably because the Input impednace going to the opamp is rather High (with low input impedances the NE5532 sounds much better than the TL072)

I agree,using it to drive lm3886 parallel amp

Minion said:

Another one you might try is the OPA2604 as it is also a very nice sounding opamp.....
will do

Minion said:

The thing about trying to swith out opamps to get a better sound is that most circuits are optimized arround the Opamp used so it can be very difficult to get a totally different opamp to behave properly in a circuit that is not designed for it, at least without altering the values of other components in the Circuit....
Cheers

this circuit use the dual verison of the 741(there no place to go but up). I will try the ne5532 and the 4580

Thanks

Try 2xAD825 (SMD Op-amp) plus Browndog Adapter...

I Have try NE5532, OPA2134PA, JRC4556AD, JRC4580D, JRC5532D, AD825, THS4032
In my Ear the best is AD825. this op-amp sound smooth , more detail, more musical than other op-amp.
THS4032 sound good too, but it's very difficult to make this op-amp stable..

stokessd said:
I don't try to change the sound with gain stages like an op-amp (it's a losing proposition vs. fixing the root cause),

Sheldon
I agree but this is a $20,that will be used with an Ipod. I want to upgrade the amp a little and dont want to put in a lot of effort.

dytln_02 said:
Try 2xAD825 (SMD Op-amp) plus Browndog Adapter...

I Have try NE5532, OPA2134PA, JRC4556AD, JRC4580D, JRC5532D, AD825, THS4032
In my Ear the best is AD825. this op-amp sound smooth , more detail, more musical than other op-amp.
THS4032 sound good too, but it's very difficult to make this op-amp stable..

thanks

the iPod's output can drive ~80 mA into the 16 Ohm buds to within only a~ 100mV of the rail

90% of the op amps you can put in a dip socket will give up at <1/2 the output current, usually at several V less than the rails

the biggest sound differences would be expected to be due the inadequate drive most DIP op amps could muster

I have not used the Ipod yet. Im using a sony armband radio,a panasonic cd player and a sony walkman to test amp,they all sound ok. The issue for me is not the lost in current but the change in sound,remember the op amp is driving a discrete power amp. The amp is for a teenager,so if it has volume and bass Im 90% there

jcx

Have you used the ipod in a power amp + speaker set up. If so how'd it turn out?

Hi Jaudio,

I have used an I-Pod on an Altec Lansing ACS45 (2.1 MM system) to demonstrate for a client. Sound was as good as my DVD player. But then I ripped the tracks of a cd. Not all MP3 files are good quallity!

Try the I-Pod directly to your amp. I don't see why you need further amplification.

Geoff

peranders said:

A NE5532 sounds quite nice only if it has good working conditions. It seems that this Radio Shack product has major problems concering the design. I found it hard to believe only changing an opamp will be the solution.

peranders,you are right on all counts but I do think the amp is good enough for a Ipod

The amp is harsh; I simply want to mellow it out some. The NE5532 worked very well driving parallel lm3886, but for this amp the tl072 worked better. I’m not looking for solution to a design problem. If anybody wants to correct a design problem, have at it. The amp is only $20, Im not expecting anything even remote close to high end. I purchased a few; I will give them away or strip them for parts.

Thanks

Jaudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.