best op amp for Ipod - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2006, 06:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I have not used the Ipod yet. Im using a sony armband radio,a panasonic cd player and a sony walkman to test amp,they all sound ok. The issue for me is not the lost in current but the change in sound,remember the op amp is driving a discrete power amp. The amp is for a teenager,so if it has volume and bass Im 90% there

jcx

Have you used the ipod in a power amp + speaker set up. If so how'd it turn out?
Old 26th October 2006, 02:21 AM   #12
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

my comment is for headphone listening only
Old 28th October 2006, 02:13 PM   #13
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Jaudio,

I have used an I-Pod on an Altec Lansing ACS45 (2.1 MM system) to demonstrate for a client. Sound was as good as my DVD player. But then I ripped the tracks of a cd. Not all MP3 files are good quallity!

Try the I-Pod directly to your amp. I don't see why you need further amplification.

Geoff
Old 28th October 2006, 02:41 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Geoff H

It will be a few weeks before I can test with an Ipod. Have you tried the Altec Lansing ACS45 with anything other than a Ipod( portable cd,etc)?

thanks Jaudio
Old 28th October 2006, 02:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

you could use the ipod with almost any powered speakers with a stereo input. apple did not figure out how to make an analog signal incompatible with everyone else's analog signals yet.
Old 28th October 2006, 03:03 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by neutron7
apple did not figure out how to make an analog signal incompatible with everyone else's analog signals yet .

Yet, that's the part
Old 28th October 2006, 04:29 PM   #17
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Jaudio,
The ACS45 now resides in the workshop, connected to the music server, and a linux box. It has been used on many sources, and with the extra sockets I fitted, has driven many different speakers.

Geoff.
Old 28th October 2006, 04:51 PM   #18
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaudio
I first used ne5532 it sounded horrible, then I tried the tl072 things got better,
A NE5532 sounds quite nice only if it has good working conditions. It seems that this Radio Shack product has major problems concering the design. I found it hard to believe only changing an opamp will be the solution.
Old 28th October 2006, 07:21 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

A NE5532 sounds quite nice only if it has good working conditions. It seems that this Radio Shack product has major problems concering the design. I found it hard to believe only changing an opamp will be the solution.

peranders,you are right on all counts but I do think the amp is good enough for a Ipod

The amp is harsh; I simply want to mellow it out some. The NE5532 worked very well driving parallel lm3886, but for this amp the tl072 worked better. I’m not looking for solution to a design problem. If anybody wants to correct a design problem, have at it. The amp is only $20, Im not expecting anything even remote close to high end. I purchased a few; I will give them away or strip them for parts.

Thanks

Jaudio

Hide this!Advertise here!