Ha1388 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2006, 02:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Default Ha1388

Has anybody heard of this chipamp? I salvaged a 4-channel sub-assembly out of am OEM car radio (I think it was a Ford Radio, but it's been so long, I can't remember.

I think it is by Hitachi, but I'm not too sure. I've tried Hitachi's website, but with a company that large, navigating their website doesn't get me anywhere near I want to be.

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

Steve
Old 22nd October 2006, 10:02 AM   #2
CJ900RR is offline CJ900RR  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have never heard of it before but Google is your friend.

Schematic
Datasheet

Hitachi is indeed the manufacture. It looks like it has a TDH at 10% so i wouldnt use it for home-hifi. I guess it was made for car-audio.
Old 26th October 2006, 04:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

CJ,

Thanks for the links. Very interesting indeed. I hat to just throw away a possibly good 4-channed module, but with a THD figure, I would look at other chips, like the Overture series from National.

So, I guess the uPC1230H2s I have floating around might not be worth doing,either, huh? These are 12V BTL chips, very similar to the HA1388s. Bummer.

Steve
Old 14th November 2006, 01:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mitwrong Send a message via MSN to mitwrong Send a message via Yahoo to mitwrong
Default Audio ICs

N-Channel:

I know a little on audio ICs

HA = Hitachi
STK = Sanyo
TA = Toshiba
uPC = NEC
LA = Sanyo
TDA = Thomson, Philips, SGS,
LM = N.S.
uA = Fairchild

From the heading of an IC before the number, we can trace where it comes from.

If you want to build a 4-ch amp. with 12v supply, I highly recommend you to use TDA1554, from Philips. This chip provides 9 RMS Watts into 4 Ohm Load, with 4-ch driven, or 22 RMS Watts Bridge 2-ch operation at 4 ohm load. Detail spec. can be found on
Alldata sheet.com.

HELPPING OTHERS BETTER THAN ASK FOR HELP
Old 14th November 2006, 02:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
I've played with the TDA7350,another car radio chip..
It doesn't sound too bad if you keep it out of clipping,and is bridgeable to 22W.
And it only uses a whopping 4-5 components per channel in bridge mode.
Old 14th November 2006, 04:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

DJ,

Thanks. I gave them away to a fellow Ham whose son is into experimenting. Beside, I still have my LM4765s.
Old 25th September 2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Anthem is offline Anthem  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default HA1388 Great Guitar Practice Tube Amp

Check out this link (for posterity in 2010 on this Power Amp IC)

The AN214 World

where this girl rates the HA1388 as on par with an EL34 Tube amp. So the 10% distortion when maxed out on the datasheet may in fact be an advantage to Guitar Amp enthusiasts.

Might be a pity to throw it away. I have one so I will put my guitar through it and see what happens.
Old 25th September 2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Anthem is offline Anthem  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Here is her interesting comment in the above link on the AN214:

" Sound quality wise, both the HA1388 and the HA1393 managed to sound like a EL84-equipped tube amp – make that a premium tube like an EL84 with the words Record by Mullard printed on the tube’s glass enclosure. Excellent sounding both IC amps are, they suffer from unacceptable levels of hiss – especially when used with speakers with sensitivities better than 93dB per watt / 2.8 volts at 1 meter. Probably having a signal-to-noise ratio no better than 69dB. The HA1388 and HA1393 can be also considered commercially extinct since it is only in antique audio swap meets that you have a chance of finding one. In guitar amp applications, they are better than the AN214 due to its tube-like tonality – making that aeolian mode opening riff of Judas Priest’s Breaking the Law sounds so symphonic as if it is played on a Mullard tube equipped Marshall amp. Unfortunately both the HA1388 and HA1393 are even rarer that the Record by Mullard type EL84 tubes. "

Hide this!Advertise here!