chipamp passive preamp / crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have been toying with the idea for a while now for my "compurter room" system and tonight i started doing some experimenting. My findings are that my speakers are only good down to about 60Hz, The speakers are running from a TDA1554Q based chipamp at the moment (cheap and chearfull) which has an input impedance of about 30K (according to the datasheet).

I am in the process of building a pair of 10" active subs for the system and to begin with i want to build a passive preamp / crossover to control it all.

As an initial experiment i tried to build a 1st order passive line level crossover to filter out 100Hz and below from my main speakers. Plugged it in and as expected the level dropped a little but theres more than enough power in the system for my small room anyway so i am happy with that. the main problem i have is it dosnt seem to be filtering much if anything out.. when i play test tones through the system it seems to act the same as before but at a slightly lower level. as in it will play test tones all the way down to about 30Hz but after 60Hz the level starts to drop off and the speakers start to distort (as they did before).

The corssover used 15K resistor and 166nF capacitor (those are the values i calculated that should work to crossover at 100Hz. My question is is there something wrong with my calculations or is the 1st order crossover a complete waste of time? Or is there somethign else i am missing?

Many thanks,
Owen

The speakers arent ported unfortunatley, they are based around a 6 1/2" 2 way infinity car driver in a sealed enclosure and they work really well down to about 50Hz.. but seeing as i have a sub in the system anyway i think it might be worth putting a high pass crossover on the mains..
Owen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.