Integrated gainclone, NOSDAC and DAR - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2006, 03:36 PM   #11
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nuuk,
Would you mind telling more about the Burston audio buffer and Charlize
Do you mean individually or using them together? You can read about the buffer here, or there is my review here .
Old 13th October 2006, 04:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Neil,

What speakers are you using?

Regarding the buffer, indeed, when I was using it with Placette RVC that was placed directly at amp's input (buffer at DAC's output) I also experienced improvement in every aspect of DAC's performance. The buffer is based on a circuit used in Levinson ML30.6, ML360S processors, schematic attached (output imp 6ohm).

When using DAC with ML diamond buffer, it may be a good idea to replace 4.7uF BG N DAC coupling caps with smaller value film caps (as the buffer impedance is very high, coupling caps values as low as 0.1uF are fine).

People reported very good results with Hovlands 0.22uF, SCR 0.1uF. I was using teflon V-Caps 0.1uF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ml_buffer.pdf (42.3 KB, 266 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th October 2006, 04:11 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Neil_Kaye, great concept, fine execution.

SqueezeBox as pre-amp:

? I suppose your completed device is entirely under WiFi wireless remote computer control (absence of knobs, no EtherNet port, etc.) ?

? My personal SqueexeBox is hard wire connected via EtherNet cable and RCA/analog connected to an older integrated amp, controlled by LAN/computer. Your experience regarding WiFi wireless verses EtherNet direct connect would be of interest. ?

? Your experience and listening impressions regarding SqBx analog verses optical / coaxial digital to amp would be of great interest. ?

? The SqBx DAC is 24 bit through analog ports, but the DDC is "LossLess" through SPDIF ports ... Any noticable differences, problems, questions ?

? Are you going to add this one to your other interesting projects at your web site ?

? It appears that the entire case is plastic of some sort, yes ?

? Do the heat sinks physically connect to the case ... no ventilation (?), any problems there ?

Old 13th October 2006, 06:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Peter,
I am driving a Jordan 92's in a transmission line enclosure. The db rating is arounf 88 and the speakers are 4-5 ohms.
http://web.mac.com/noteldov/iWeb/DIY...7951E0B11.html

Where is a good site to purchase the coupling caps... and which are the coupling caps?
Are the repalcements caps also orientation sensitive like the BG's?

Fast Eddy i will get back to you onthe SB3, as i have a lot to say
Old 13th October 2006, 06:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The coupling caps are C13 and C14 on DAC board. Supplied are 4,7uF BG N and they work fine when DAC is on its own. With buffer present, some people reported that smaller film caps may be better.

Since I'm shipping your package today, I can include some caps for you to try (Hovlands, Axon, MIT, ERO, RIFA). If you choose something, you may pay for that later and send back the rest.

Two places to buy caps are percyaudio.com and partsconnexion.com

All caps are usually sensitive to orientation because of inner/outer foil arrangement.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th October 2006, 06:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

wow, thanks for the cap offer peter. Send over some caps and I will pay for what I keep. Would you mind including another DAC schematic with the package?
Old 13th October 2006, 06:47 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Will do.
Old 13th October 2006, 07:20 PM   #18
danon is offline danon  Germany
diyAudio Member

n_k, my "final ruminations" in charlize context are here.

To recap: Caps. Not to favor any manufacturers I didn't make any univocal recommendations for coupling caps. If reading between the lines however, my preference while understated, is clear. Other - besides upgrading caps it appears good sense also to solder the amp's spkr outputs to account for phase inversion. Such minor changes seemed rather disproportionate to the resultant improvement.
Old 13th October 2006, 08:05 PM   #19
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by neil_kaye
wow, thanks for the cap offer peter. Send over some caps and I will pay for what I keep. Would you mind including another DAC schematic with the package?

And that is what separates DIY from Hi-Fi salons...

It's amazing how such a simple act speaks volumes about people. Good show Peter.

Neil, BEAUTIFUL piece.
Old 14th October 2006, 01:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Fast Eddy,
1. The device is completely wireless controled either from a remote or my Mac. My entire music collection is housed on the Mac (with appropriate backups of course). All music was encoded as either Flac or apple lossless
2. There is absolutley no difference in sound qulaity between ethernet and wireless. I do run the wireless in "g" which permits up to 56Mbs transfer rate, more than enough for audio data. I have yet to have a dropped connection.
3. The SB3 i feel, falls quite short in regards to its analog outs. Bolder cables offers a Mod to improve the analog outs but i personally feel you are better off choosing your own DAC and using the SPDIF out on the SB3. I have been extremely happy using an outboard DAC; first a modded Bel Canto and now Peter's NOSDAC. I would definitly encourage you to experiment in this arena. The sound really does improve. I think even upgrading the power supply on the SB3 would help the analog outs.
4.Next week i am off for some sun, but when i get back i should have some more time to update my website. I was also going to wait until i have completed the buffer section and given the caps a chance to burn in.
5. The case is aluminum, bead blasted and black anodized
6. I tapped the heat sink to bolt directly to the chassis. The top and bottom of the chassis are vented. I ran the amp for several hours at 90% and although warm, i imagine the chips were doing fine. The heatsink are 1" thick aluminum, i find it takes awhile for the LM3875 in a vented case to heat these up

Hide this!Advertise here!