High input level LM3886 amp ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2006, 07:07 PM   #1
bibster is offline bibster  France
diyAudio Member

Default High input level LM3886 amp ?

Hi all,

I've about completed my 5687 based linestage, finished my FE87e Fullrangers, so what's left?
Right: A (power)amp!
I've read about tubebufferd gainClones, but I don't want to something like that: My linestage will be to far away to implement series feedback, and:
My linestage has a (voltage)gain of about +26dB....
That is: 1v in, 20v out...
I don't want to keep the linestage's inputs verrrrry low, so I end up having 2v output (and a lot of noise... :-( ), so my question is:

How can I build a gainclone thinggy that accepts some 20V input?
(I thought of a simpel voltage divider, but there must be some more elegant way)

Hint welcome!

Cheers, Paul
Old 11th October 2006, 10:09 PM   #2
ReidK is offline ReidK  United States
diyAudio Member

You don't want to attenuate (reduce) the level only to amplify it again. That will do nothing but increase the noise level.

The LM3886 can handle input voltages in that range (20V). You just need to adjust the gain to a low value (like 1 or 2). Gain, which is the factor by which the amplifier multiplies the input voltage, is set with external resistors.

There's one potential problem - like many op-amps, the 3886 has stability problems at low gain levels. In other words, it tries to stop being an amplifier and become an oscillator (tone generator). At best, this makes the amp useless. At worst, the chip can burn up, though the 3886's substantial protection circuitry would probably preven that. This thread had a good discussion of how to make a low-gain gainclone: Gainclone...No gain, YES pain.

Good luck.

Reid
Old 13th October 2006, 07:13 PM   #3
juma is offline juma  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Hi bibster,
use OPA549 - there are some people who prefer it to LM38xx chips. It is known that it works better in low gain configurations (G=1 or 2) - it has wider bandwith when configured that way. No stability problems at all, other specs also very good. Take a look at:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/opa549.html
http://www-s.ti.com/sc/ds/opa549.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!