Trouble shooting LM3875 and NOSDAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2006, 09:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Trouble shooting LM3875 and NOSDAC

Hi,
I just finished building Peters Daniels LM3875 and NOSDAC. Before hooking it up to my speakers it tested the DC offset across the terminals which read at 12mV per side stble. I thought great, let me hook it up and see what happens.
Well there is sound, a little closed in but probaly more as a result of not burning in the caps yet. There thing is the volumne is very low. I have a pair of 88db speakers that I had no problem driving with a CLass D 20W amp before. I can listen with the gainlone but just not very loud
So don't believe the problem lies with the DAC as if there was i would get no sound at all. It must be something with the amp.
I have little experience troubling shooting but this is what i have so far:
1. Audio Sector LM3875 kit
2. 2 PLitron 120 V 22VAC toroids; one per side
3. I checked the rectified coltage after the PCB- 65 volts per side... wierd???? AT that voltage surley the chip should have blown?

Any ideas on how i might trouble shoot this and what the likley source of the problem might be?
Cheers
A very lost and confused newbie
Old 7th October 2006, 09:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I was measuring across the wrong terminals i get 34.5 volts which seems fine. Is it possible that the gain will increase as the amp and DAC burn in?
Old 8th October 2006, 03:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

check the amp with some other source first. then at least you will know where the problem is.
Old 9th October 2006, 02:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

No problem with the source. I have a couple of questions that may help trouble shoot though:
1. I placed a 10ohm 1 watt resisotor between the star ground and the chassis to limit "dirty" current feedback from any other component. ANy chance that this may recduce volume and what is the typical resisotor used in this posistion?
2. Is there and way to test a gainclone board with a multimeter to see what the gain is so that i can compare this board to others?

Thanks
Old 9th October 2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No problem with the source.
What was suggested was to compare the volume between the NOSDAC and another source. Some NOSDACs have a lower output than say a typical CDP.

Add a 220n cap in parallel with that 100R resistor (star ground to case) but that won't affect the volume level.
Old 10th October 2006, 03:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nuuk,
Any suggestions on how to get more gain from a LM3875 or more specifically Peter's boards?
Ho might i go about testing the wattage / gain of my particular board?
And finally could adding a buffer help with the gain at the risk of adding coloration?
Old 10th October 2006, 08:17 AM   #7
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can change the input/feedback resistor ratio to get a bit more gain providing you don't go outside the limits set in the datasheet for that chip.

As many prefer the GC with an active buffer or gain stage, that may be a better way to go! Try a simple one like the one I built to go with a class-T amp. You can find full details here .

You may well be satisified with that but if not, there are any number of circuits to try!

Hide this!Advertise here!