diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   A little more twisted than usual.... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/87631-little-more-twisted-than-usual.html)

Russ White 3rd October 2006 09:11 PM

A little more twisted than usual....

Hey Folks,

I have a few projects that have a lot in common, and they are beginning to run together in terms of concerns. In fact the ideas are modular, and build on each other.

Examples:

Twisted Sibling - A balanced line driver/preamp and SE/BAL converter.
Twisted X Overture(TXO) - A balanced symmetrically bridged power amp.
Twisted X Symphony(TXS) - Same as TXO but with two OPA549 working at much lower gain (the gain is handled more by the THS41xx in this case).

Anyway, I have made a whole lot of progress on this stuff, but it does not belong in any single thread, until now. I have decided to launch his thread to discuss the modular approach to all three projects. More projects are planned and in the works based on the modules contained here.

Using the modules I have designed one could create a power amp project of anywhere from 50W to 300W or more....

Anyway here is an article to get people started. I am very interested in feedback from the community here, and ideas. This document is pretty high level. I don't want to lose people in details just yet. :) But this is the place to talk about it, and expand on things. Any important info will be added as a new revision of the document.

I will probably write more detailed articles later should people be interested.

A Very Twisted Missive

Cheers!
Russ

jleaman 3rd October 2006 11:05 PM

Following :D

maxw 4th October 2006 12:52 AM

Me too! Its a great concept and very versatile to boot but I really just want the kits already ;)

lgreen 4th October 2006 02:07 AM

there is a need

People have been waiting for this kind of thing to be done by someone who knows what they are doing, esp. an amp that can be high power, the 300W you mention.

It all looks good to me and I think that there will be much interest.

waltona 4th October 2006 08:30 AM

Yep, I'm liking it too. I've started to save my pennies now. Keep up the good work.

Al

maxlorenz 4th October 2006 04:43 PM

Russ and Brian,

Impressive work and concept! :up:

Maxw,

Quote:

...but I really just want the kits already ;)
LOL :D
Another "obssessive-compulsive builder", like me...
I really have to take the time and open a thread about that subject.

Regards,
M

Ed LaFontaine 4th October 2006 07:05 PM

Is it appropriate to ask if DC blocking can be addressed in a coherent fashion?
For instance: "If your XX pre output contains no DC component you may omit the caps."
Is there a "best" place (or way) to manage DC content?

I really like what you're doing Russ.

Russ White 4th October 2006 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Lafontaine
Is it appropriate to ask if DC blocking can be addressed in a coherent fashion?
For instance: "If your XX pre output contains no DC component you may omit the caps."
Is there a "best" place (or way) to manage DC content?

I really like what you're doing Russ.

Thanks Ed!

My first choice to block DC would be at the source which is what we do on the Opus.

If you used Opus --> TXD --> JT --> TXO you would nothing other than DC blocking caps which are already on the Opus DAC.

For another source, if you thought you needed it you could add an external CAP. In most cases this will not be necessary, when it is that caps people want are widely varied, and are probably best handled off the PCB.

Cheers!

MashBill 5th October 2006 03:30 AM

I'm very interested!

BillH 6th October 2006 02:42 AM

Russ, count me in.

Do the twisted amps handle low impedance loads? I'd like to build an pair of amps of 60 to 100 watts each to drive ESLs. Will the amp's protection circuit handle an overcurrent condition well?

Thanks to you and Brian for your work so far.