Can someone help a noob??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is the tranny dual primary and dual secondary? Most that I've used have 3 wires on the primary side for 240 or 120v operation and 2 sets of output wires. To check if yours is a dual primary, use an ohm meter and check the resistance of the primaries first. If it's a dual primary, there will only be an electrical connection between one pair. This should be one of the black and one of the red. Then check the other pair and you should see the same result. Then check your secondaries and see which ones are paired. Finally, power one of the primaries and see which secondary corresponds with it. I usually label them. It's not that it matters much which side corresponds to which unless you're fusing each side seperately at the mains, but it's nice to know. If you do have a transformer with both dual primaries and secondaries, it's electrically the same as having 2 seperate transformers. You can run them in parallel or series to achieve the voltage you're looking for. First things first though. Get out the meter and find out what kind of animal it is.

and use a bulb in series with the primary to stop you blowing it up!

I use a mains bulb (various wattages from 40W to 150W) whenever I start up a new project or have carried out maintenance or modified a project, just in case I have mis-wired something.

I keep a plug top with socket outlet and bulb holder permanently wired up. It gets used regularly.

I read about it here, this is a damn good Forum.

Trafo sounds like an Antek (ebay). If so, here you go...

Attachments

• lm3875_se_pcb.gif
    lm3875_se_pcb.gif
    49.6 KB · Views: 292
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.