Lm4780

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
" I also have one little question about the powersupply.

Can I use one withe these specs:

300VA, 2x24 Volt, 2x6.25A "

This is perfect in my experience, with the standard 1.4 multiplier you should give you around 36volts ish. Don't use any voltage regulators as they have a maximum tolerance of 35 volts! I popped a few with my own PSU??
I've found that you can get 60 watts plus into a 8 ohm load with this setup. Personally, I would use two, one for each PSU/Chanel.
Although my recent gainclone only used 1 PSU and I got 50 watts plus into my 4 ohm Jamo giants!

wotsascott said:
This is perfect in my experience, with the standard 1.4 multiplier you should give you around 36volts ish. Don't use any voltage regulators as they have a maximum tolerance of 35 volts! I popped a few with my own PSU??
I've found that you can get 60 watts plus into a 8 ohm load with this setup. Personally, I would use two, one for each PSU/Chanel.
Although my recent gainclone only used 1 PSU and I got 50 watts plus into my 4 ohm Jamo giants! [/B]

I'm not really sure if I know what you mean. Should I remove some components from my rectifier bord?

/ The noob :xmasman:

Hi Guys,
I'm not really sure if I know what you mean. Should I remove some components from my rectifier bord?
What I meant is that if you are going to use any sort of voltage regulator chip then remember that most can only handle 35 volts before they are destroyed!
To be honest it is unlikely in a gainclone's PSU.
I gather the power supply you plan to use is something like this:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...=/images?q=lm3886+psu&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=N
If so then this is ideal and no components should be removed!
I built one power supply for each channel on mine and a seperate 300va 25-0, 25-0 toroid transformer for each PSU.
The PSU's supplied a steady 35 volts! <25x 1.4= 35 ish>
See what I mean?

Hi Again,
It's ordered now. Can't wait for it to come.
Have you ordered a kit? My first gainclone was one of Rod Elliots from ESP; worked around the LM3876! I used vero board and components I could "harvest" from junk at home, sounded as sloppy as it's construction. Rod's circuit is great though and I see he's finally added a "gainclone" < we all succumb to social terminology in the end> to the ranks of his other 100+ circuits!!
After that I bought one of Brian's kits at chipamp.com. The single power supply version of the LM3886 kit; it sounds awesome.
You'll find that you can't stop at one, the buzz takes hold; it is very rewarding.
A tip is that the electronics are the easy part <for me anyway>, it's the pigging cosmetics of the chassis that frustrates!! I find myself not happy every time I build one. So try and find a stopping point and keep it simple! I have made some monumental cockups from tinkering with minor unecesary changes.
When you first turn it on <and it works> you'll be hooked for sure!!!!
I've moved on to the LM4780 chip <2 LM3886's in one package> and am playing with 2 of them in parallel! 4 glorius 3886's!
Try Rod's site out:
http://sound.westhost.com/index2.html

Ooops, havenot been here for a while due to some personal reasons...

Yes I hav ordered a LM4780 kit from audiosector. I hope it wold work just fine when I put the pieces together.

You will probably see meny stupid questions from me from because I am a beginner att this :)

Edit: Since I have bought a kit from audiosector, should I ask questions about it in the thread at "Vendor's Bazaar" ?

/ Fredrik

Joined 2003
Paid Member
flraer said:
Edit: Since I have bought a kit from audiosector, should I ask questions about it in the thread at "Vendor's Bazaar" ?

A good starting point is to look at the thread starter's original post and see if you question or answer fits in the thread. Not that all threads are constantly on topic of course. :)

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.