first chipamp...need advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heres my situation...

Im looking for a cheap amplifier <$150 total that will power a pair of BG Neo8s + Dayton RS270s (crossed somewhere between 500-1000hz) on a 12" open-baffle (can anyone think of any better options for ~ <$250 total on speakers)

I spend a lot of time on my computer at home...and am getting tired of these Logitech stereo speakers. Im working an active setup for my car (BG Neo3s + Usher 9845s + Peerless XLS 8s + AA 18" run off D7056 + d51200.1) and currently have $2000+ tied up in that so I dont have a lot of money left over for a stereo setup at home...so Ive got to make with what I have. I consider myself extremely knowledgeable in terms of speaker design...but im totally lost when it comes to amps. Im looking for 100+ x 2 @ 8ohms and I'd like to hook up the amp directly to my computers soundcard (Im in the market for one of these too...so if anyone can recommend me one >$100 thatd be great. Im fine with buying off eBay)

A pair of LM4780 run in stereo will give you 4 channels, then you can Bi-amp the speakers. Alternatively you could also run them parallel and get the 100W output you are looking for. There are quite a few kits around for this chip, give it a Google. As for the soundcard I am in the market myself. Anything by M-Audio comes recommended. I have also been looking at the EMU 0404 as a cheap alternative. I suspect you, like myself, are also interested in the card to do some driver measurements.

G.

I'd just get a tried and true lm3875 or lm 3886 kit from www.audiosector.com or www.chipamp.com. You can easily build one for under $150.

True, these are "only" 50 watts, and you asked for 100. But if your need for 100 watts was based on your experience with commercial amplifiers, I think you will find that a 50 watt DiY chip amp delivers all you need and more. Doubling the power only gets you 3 dB more volume anyway.

For open baffle speakers, two drivers that are getting a whole lot of interest right now are the Silver Iris 15" coaxials from www.hawthorneaudio.com and the B200s from Visaton. Do a search in this forum to find a ton of info about both.

These will run you closer to $300 a pair shipped than $250, but you don't have to worry about a crossover for either (the SI comes with a crossover and the B200 is a single full-range driver).

I haven't heard an Adcom amp in about 10 years, can't comment on those.

If you are willing to explore a lower power route, you could try either the Charlize amplifier from www.diyparadise.com, the T-Amp (which needs to be modified to really sound good) or the Super-T Amp (basically an already modded T-Amp in a nicer case).

Those are all 10-15 watts. It doesn't sound like much but the two drivers I mentioned early are both very efficient. The SI and the B200 are both around 96 dB per watt. The drivers you mentioned originally in this message would have a combined efficiency around 90 dB per watt. A 6 dB increase in efficiency is equivalent to 4x the power.

I don't understand why guys like to spend so much money and time building a chip amp when they can get a great used amp for equal or fewer $$.

For years I have used nothing but Hafler legacy amps, the ones from the early 80s, that came both as a kit or factory wired. My favorites at around 65 watts (conservative watts!) are the DH-120 or P-125 or the Hafler 9130. Or, you could go for 110 watts per channel with the DH-220 or P-225 amps. These amps are solid performers, complete schematics and parts lists are available, and use no exotic parts so repair (infrequent) is easily possible.

Check them out on eBay and read their manuals in the Tech archive section of www.hafler.com. Here is the link to the DH-120 amp's manual:

http://hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-120_amp_man.pdf

Also, you could do a search for these amps here at DIYaudio in the solid state amp forum.

My $0.02 :)

Check my previous post selling a Hafler 9130:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68174

Read the several messages in this short thread and look at the pictures.

I'll be glad to answer any questions you have about these Hafler amps. Perhaps you might search on my name here and see the many posts to various forums discussing Hafler amps.

Presently I am using a DH-120 with a pair of DIY (mid/bass + tweeter) speakers attached to my computer and enjoy the sound playing CDs, watching a DVD, etc.

Dick

Gcollier,

You are correct. This is not a 5.1 channel gamer's card. The back 2 channels can be used to drive a stereo amp and they are purported to have an excellent DAC driving their analog output.

I am using this card in my main machine in the HT room where I surf, watch TV, and play DVDs. I use its digital (toslink) output sent to my Outlaw 950 pre/pro which contains an excellent DAC. The sound from my PC's CD player, sent through this card's tosllink into the pre/pro and played on a very good 5.1 set of HT speakers (and driven by 3 Hafler amps), sounds just as good as a dedicated system in the family room. And, the use of the toslink connection cuts out chances of hum or ground loop problems.

So, this card is good for digital (toslink) output or analog stereo output (configured to use the back two speakers outputs). If you're not a gamer it is an excellent product for the price. The ENVY chipset is also used on much more expensive cards, such as the M-audio line as I recall.

Dick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.