Another Tranny Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I pulled a mulitap transformer from an Technics receiver - model SA 121 (35watts per channel) that I would like to use in a gainclone. The transformer is a Panosonic SLT5M373. There are 4 secondary leads (brown, blue, black, blue). I measured voltages as follows:

Meter on brown and 1st blue - 18.5v
brown and black - 11.0v
brown and 2nd blue - 41.5v

Is this transformer suitable for a 3886 gainclone and what is the best way to hook it up. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a 30-0-30 with an 11v winding in there for control circuitry to run from. That's too high for a Gainclone as it would produce +/-42v when rectified and filtered.

It's a bit odd that the reciever was only 35W per channel... those rails would be good for 90W into 8 ohms. Depending on the VA rating of that transformer it'd be good for powering two ESP P3A amplifiers :)

Hi,
the two blues are the main 30Vac secondary outputs.
The Black is the centre tap.
The brown is 11Vac single secondary referenced to the same centre tap.

What mains voltage was there when you took the measurements?
What load (or none) was on the secondary when you took the measurements?

You may have a 25-0-9-25 transformer when loaded to rated output.
You need to check voltage after the rectifier and smoothing when under quiescent load.
But, it might still be a bit high.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.