Best Chip amp for this 4 Ohm speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Jackinnj, Hi Al

I'm currently using inverted 549 with 10k input and 93.1k feedback... I wonder if this single unit enough for my speaker ?

I've tried to bridge them but can't away from Hum problem. Also when I turn the volume up and down, will be a "poke" sound come out from the woofer.

Will try the 4780 soon.
:D

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Well, for 4 ohm loads, you should be looking at parallel operation rather than bridged. As for hum, the 4780 will be slightly easier in this respect as it is all on one chip, but if you're careful, and trace all the wiring in your existing amp, then you should get rid of the hum. As for the noise when you alter the volume, have you tried changing/cleaning the volume pot?

Hi Al,

I did try parallel 3875, but I found that it didn't sound as good as a single one, the other thing is I need to turn the volume more ( from 11am to 2pm ) to get the same loudness. Out put resistor is Mills MRA 0.1 R, 5 watt.... I don't think this output resistor will kill down the quality that much, isn't it ?

As for the noise when you alter the volume, have you tried changing/cleaning the volume pot?

Yes, I've tried a DIY Stepped atten', a fake ALPS step', Noble 31 steps... all of them having this problem, maybe from somewhere else ?
:(

Ball

You can start with the schematic of the evaluation board...
The schematic is several pages down, also a recommended parts list is included:
http://41hz.com/downloads/TAA4100A.PDF#search="evaluation board taa4100a"

If you want the joy of home-building paired with the comfort of haveing all parts served to you on a plate:http://www.41hz.com
(look at amp 9 kit). This one is more affordable than the next option, and they have a lot of choice in other kits.....

If you want to have it built and tested for you:http://www.autocostruire.com/catalo...ge=en&osCsid=73daf67910025c7f64fd0c8e415bbfd9
This shop can provide you with a schematic to parallel the chips.
They have a 2/4/8 channel version with this amp.
The chip is fitted standard with 4 channels, so the 2 channel version doesn't use the whole chip (I have the 4 channel version of this one) as I've read...

The amp I have can drive my electrostatic speakers(on 12 volt operation) , they show an impedance at higher frequencies of aprox. 1 ohm!!

I must say soundquality-wise the electrostats reveal some limitations of the amp, but you would have to spend at least ten times this money to get the same sonic qualities. And the chip is vertually indestructible (secured very well). Brands like "audio research" use these chips (with their own schematic, would like to get my hands on one!)...

Making your own board with this chip (necessary to do the proper(and necessary!!) shielding) will be a lot harder than making a hardwired gainclone.
I would encourage doing that if you're capable of it, please keep me/us informed!

It only depends on what you want to do with it, I take my mc4x100 audiodigit amp wherever I go, and it really saves the battery.
Even in my livingroom I opeate it on a sla battery (35 amps)...

There is no cleaner power than a battery......

Don't know about the efficiency of that gainclone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.