Noob with questions...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm in kind of a 'buy it now figure it out later' kind of mood, and I just had a few questions about what i'll need.

I'm pretty much set on one of the chip-amp kits from audio sector, i'm planning on buying 2 to power the mid's and tweeters in an active pair of speakers. Is there anyway to fit 2 kits (4 channels) into one chassis? I know the boards themselves are small, but with the transformers etc will it all fit? The case I have is around 18X16X10. Also is there anyway I can get all four channels to run of of one big transformer or will I need 4 or....This is the part that's confusing me right now, soldered lots but never done anything like this. :confused: I remember taking apart my Aragon 2005 before I sold it, and I'm sure that was a variation on the "gainclone" idea, it just had one massive transformer. But it also sounded like crap... :D

Basically, to make a long post short, if in my position what would you do? And what would you buy to make it happen?

Tristan

You're good to go on the case. Yes you can use one transformer.

I am not sure about the rectifier/power supply boards. At this level of power it make makes more sense to build the PSU discretely (without boards).

Some will argue that you'll have horrible channel separation issues between channels with a single tranny... this is largely BS... and the result of poor supply design.

:)

One transformer will be perfectly fine. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of capacitance in your supply to keep the dips out when one chip draws a lot of current. You could use one of the rectifier boards supplied with the kit and just add a bank of capacitors after it. Also make sure your transformer will supply the current you are going to need. For your situation where it is a pair of mids and a pair of tweeters you likely won't be drawing a huge amount of power, a 400VA transformer would likely be plenty.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.