New Hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How did the symptoms change? Refer back to my description, "touching the input shield" was with an RCA connected to a source. Either source in this case is attached to the cable TV. Now, I don't fully understand how the positive pin to the ground ring can be part of a ground loop. But then I don't know much. Let me know if there is something I'm overlooking.

Paul

If ground is truely ground than touching the shield at any point should not inject any signal into the amplification path.

I read your symptoms as: the amp quiet until the input cable was connected, and then it hummed; The amp was quiet with no source connected, but touching the input shield at this time would cause a hum. If this was the case my suggestion would be correct.

I guess I didn't read the symptom carefully enough. I should know better but it seemed straight forward at the time.

Anyway it's solved. Regards.

Hi,
these last few contributions have got me confused.

Can you summarise the problem and the solution?

I think there is still a hidden problem, two problems, is more likely.
Now, what do I do? If I insert a resistor between power ground and chassis ground will it solve this? Should I just detach the PG from the chassis ground?
Confusion reigns, I thought you had already confirmed that the safety earth was NOT connected to the audio ground.

I indeed did misspeak. I should have posted this link in the first post when I referred to the CarlosFM grounding scheme:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=645710#post645710

I placed the resistor between the power supply and the illustrated star (not star ground) on this drawing. I had initially tried the grounding scheme the boards were intended for (everything connects on the PS board), but I had a little hum. It wasn't too bad, but since I was taking the whole thing appart to address some RF issues, I changed to this grounding as well.

In any case, it is again quiet (no hum, just a little hiss with my ear in the whizzer) and sounding wonderful. Now if I only had some better looking knobs. . .

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.