STK4050V, for real! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2008, 03:49 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

STK chips are bad a$$. Like a full-size amp in a small package! I also like the fact they have NO current limit, and they have strong, clean sound.

I've played with STK 4231 100W/ch and 4221 80w/ch
(same pinout of both chips)

I have driven 4 ohm loads on the 8 ohm channels before , and they drive quite well despite the overload. They also sound powerful with headroom and I've even fried small speakers with them! Highly recommended for a small high powered amp!!

I parallelled 2 channels of 4231 to drive a 4 ohm subwoofer @ 200WRMS before and it performed great! When I blew up the 4231 and switched to a 4221(all I had to replace with), it still holds up fine at 200W, despite running the chip past its spec. I still have that amp as a spare.
Old 15th March 2008, 03:52 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Re: One STK4050V Warm

Quote:
Originally posted by satcure645
Anybody can help...

I'v built 2 modules based on STK4050V schematic published here. At Normal Room Listening Level.. 1 of the module getting warmer but the other module not even warm..

both modules are working fine... only a low hum when no music. Powering up using +/- 53Vdc (from 36Vac Transfo 100VA).

Any suggestion guys.....TQ
Sounds like oscillation in one. If both channels are identical, they should be same temp. Make sure you have zobels and small caps to filter your power rails
Old 15th March 2008, 04:28 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default STK AMP QUESTIONS

Hello all,

I would just like to ask the members a question about these stk modules. I have 4 ch of STK 4235MKII amps (pulled from a surround reciever)and would like to either bridge or parrallel to get better performance in a sub amp. I have no real need for 4x100 individual channels, but a bridged and maybe even a parallel amp would fit the bill better. I am just clueless of how these modules work, but I would guess by being 2ch chip that bridge mode would have to be done with 2ch of a chip in parallel then 2 chips bridged? Just taking a stab at this, and would love to be educated in the STK amps.

Thank you

Steve
Old 17th March 2008, 12:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: One STK4050V Warm

Quote:
Originally posted by EWorkshop1708

Sounds like oscillation in one. If both channels are identical, they should be same temp. Make sure you have zobels and small caps to filter your power rails

Thanks for the reply, will check on that..BTW I've read somewhere in the post to install 200pf cap on the circuit as a solution to the OSC.. can somebody highlight where's there correct place to install this cap. I will try that as part of the t/shooting stage.

TQ.
Old 17th March 2008, 04:34 PM   #15
Usher is offline Usher  Serbia
diyAudio Member

satcure645, i saw your first post, and I started typing a reply when, all of a sudden, my hard drive died.

Please wait a day or two (I need to recover the data), I have answers and complete instructions for all of your questions!
Old 18th March 2008, 08:23 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'll be waiting.....Thanks Again...

BTW the Hum already gone as my amp input cable (going to the Mixer) is sitting on the Main Transfo which producing the Humming sound during the test-currently only heating problem which I believe due to oscillation..need to be solve.

Both module are identical and both connected to same power source (+- 56Vdc 100VA) with 20000 uF per rail/40000 uF for both.
Old 22nd March 2008, 12:47 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

To start.............
Put a 200pf cap on the input of each amp. It filters out high RF frequencies, so only the audio itself goes into the amp.

*Highly recommended for ANY AMP is to add a HV 0.1uf capacitor (bigger if you can) to the power supply rails closest to the amplifier. I'd recommend 0.2uf to 1uf or more if you can find them.

Keep all input signal wires AWAY from the transformer!!! Keep the transformer away from the chipamp too. No need to have the transformer "inducing" currents into wires it's not supposed to.
Old 22nd March 2008, 03:45 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EWorkshop1708
To start.............
Put a 200pf cap on the input of each amp. It filters out high RF frequencies, so only the audio itself goes into the amp.

*Highly recommended for ANY AMP is to add a HV 0.1uf capacitor (bigger if you can) to the power supply rails closest to the amplifier. I'd recommend 0.2uf to 1uf or more if you can find them.

Keep all input signal wires AWAY from the transformer!!! Keep the transformer away from the chipamp too. No need to have the transformer "inducing" currents into wires it's not supposed to.

Can you provide the "solution" on the schematic i.e 200pf on the Input and HV caps at the supply rails show on schematic as to avoid any future mistake - TQ.

Currently using 100nf/100v at both neg rail to gnd and pos rail to gnd. Power Supply designed based on NMOS 350W (Quasi Complimentery - under Power Amp Under Development Section). Caps change to 20000uF per rail.
Attached Images
File Type: gif psupp.gif (18.7 KB, 266 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!