"Best" toroidal transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Best" toroidal transformer.

My plans to purchase Plitron transformers got sidetracked by a dog who hid my wallet and credit cards under the bed. However, in the interim, I googled "toroidal"and discovered a surprising number of manufacturers and distributers, many of whom keep stock on hand (Plitrons must be wound to order and take five weeks or so.)

Is there a really a consensus that Plitrons are the best and are worth both the wait and the freight? Both "Toroid of Maryland" and "Avel Lindberg" seem to to be less pricey and more readily available.

Thanks.

i liked some potted amveco's i'd picked up off ebay. very good.

had plitron, didn't seem extrordinary. good but not sure if worth hassle.

i like hammonds - various distributers. picked up some 'old' mesh wrapped ones off ebay. hefty and silent.

the avel lindbergs easy to get from parts express... but i know the 800va 50x2 one i got for rod elliot p101. didn't need that much va, but only capacity in that voltage, with single transformer. it has a heavy mechanical hum. not too bad. also had 625 25x2 that i could feel... work well.

i've had good luck with 'antek' (on ebay, parmetal related). wide variety of sizes. have had a 400va 23x2 and 800 30x2 from them and a 400va 20x2 coming. i prefer these over the ones from parts express.

It could be that the large core of the 800VA trafo is exaggerating an issue with your AC inout, such as DC on the line or a bad neutral. I would be curious to see if another large VA-rated trafo would do the same thing (different source).

I have good luck (no problems) with all the brands mentioned above, except Philtron. Just haven't had the time or $$ to try them.

lately Plitron has been selling a high-end line of toroids for SS audio....the LoNo line. they have 4 secondaries, come potted in a black metal can and supposedly have lower inrush than a regular toroidal transformer. looks sweet... very very expensive though. a 500VA transformer was $305 canadian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.