how to Using single secondaries transformer for snubber psu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
yes, you can use two separate tranformers each with a single secondary.
Just wire each secondary into the ~ of the bridge rectifier.
Then connect one + of a rectifier to one - of the other rectifier.
This common connection is then taken to your audio ground. The other + and - become your PSU supply points.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
yes, you can use two separate tranformers each with a single secondary.
Just wire each secondary into the ~ of the bridge rectifier.
Then connect one + of a rectifier to one - of the other rectifier.
This common connection is then taken to your audio ground. The other + and - become your PSU supply points.

I still confuse, look at this diagram below, it's a sch of chipamp.com lm3886 psu:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All output voltages (v+ and V-) are from "+" of the bridge. And the PG+ and PG- are from "-" of the bridge.
Is this correct?

It's different if compared to the original carlos snubberised psu, because the "v+ conected with "+" of the bridge, and the V- conected with "-" of the bridge. Also with the PG+ and PG- are connected as the same way. The diagram :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Also can compared to Mick Feuerbacher (dogbreath.de) psu:

SnubberPSU.jpg

So somebody could explain this matter to me please?

Hi,
post 7
1st schematic.
Top half OK.
Bottom half bridge reversed.

2nd & 3rd schematics are OK.

Post9
1st schematic OK.
2nd top half OK.
Bottom half reversed bridge.

However ALL the diagrams need further work on the grounding.

They all show the power 0V feed from the end of a string of connections going to the amplifier. This is inviting trouble.

The transformer to rectifier loop should be short and compact.
The rectifier to smoothing cap loop should be short and compact.
The 0V common should be connectted to either the + & - of the rectifiers or to the + & - of the first smoothing caps. A link from this 0Vcommon line should then go to the audio ground.
The amplifier should get it's 0V power connection from the audio ground NOT from the string of connections remote from the 0V common point.

However ALL the diagrams need further work on the grounding.

I agree. Strangely when you wire up the pcb's from chipamp.com the way you are "supposed to" you end up with a grounding-scheme exactly like in the posted schematics.

AndrewT is spot-on with his recommendations, i strongly suggest you follow them.

With kind regards,

Klaas

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
kvholio said:
I agree. Strangely when you wire up the pcb's from chipamp.com the way you are "supposed to" you end up with a grounding-scheme exactly like in the posted schematics.

My BrianGT/Peter Daniel GC was dead quiet... grounds came together on the amp board and the filte caps are right next to the chip....

I don't know if he is the origin, but this was Thorsten's recommended scheme when he 1st introduced the start of the "official" GCs on the Full Range Forum.

dave

Hi Andrew, i didn't try the psu-pcb's.The high-capacity gc's i built always had ps-ground simply between the two big c's.
Keeping the gnd's separate at the psu, and joining them at the amp's pcb didn't make any sense to me, so i didn't try it.
I never experienced any hum-problems with my gc's .
It might be fun to try though and compare performance.Need some new rectifiers to do this.(don't ask how i blew up the old ones- i'm a klutz).
I will do the experiment and report back on this

This picture shows clearly that ps-gnd is not at the psu-pcb from chipamp.com:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/snubber/ps_020

planet10, were you using these psu-pcb's with your gc's ?

With kind regards,

Klaas
(waiting on my ati-case for the ksa-clone :D )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.