hook the left and right channels together?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I understand his question, he wants to sum the low frequencies of both channels of his chip amp because his sub amp only has a single input, not a stereo input. That way the chip amps do the high frequencies in stereo and the sub does the low frequencies in mono.

I believe the answer is to place a low-pass filter on the outputs for both chip amp channels before the speakers of course. Take the outputs from the low pass filters together to the sub.

You need to decide the crossover frequency you want to use in order to build the low-pass filters.

Edit- my diagram didn't show up right, so removed.

Sherman said:
If I understand his question, he wants to sum the low frequencies of both channels of his chip amp because his sub amp only has a single input, not a stereo input. That way the chip amps do the high frequencies in stereo and the sub does the low frequencies in mono.

This is exactly right.

I wanted to slam together two sets of speakers for distant friends today out of available parts: 16 TB 871's and a couple DVC woofers and two plate amps. Got the boxes together and drivers in for tomorrows trip. After a quick listening test, one's gonna get a set with two active subs and the other will have to purchase a sub.

Oh well, I tried.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.