Self adhesive copper track Gainclone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2006, 09:28 AM   #1
ash_dac is offline ash_dac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question Self adhesive copper track Gainclone

Hi,

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/specs/34-0635.pdf

I was thinking about using copper track on matrix board to build a pcb for a Gainclone. To change track direction I would need to solder at the joint. Then maybe some lacquer after completion.

However, I'm unsure what current these tracks could handle, and is the peel adhesion enough ?
Old 19th August 2006, 05:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to DoomPixie
I have used this stuff before for simple circuits in college and for repairing tracks on damaged pcb's.. its very handy stuff to have around.. I actually built a constant current battery charger for chargeing r/c car batteries from a 12V supply useing just self adhesive copper tracks and a few sheets of perspex in college, made a box out of perspex and built the circuit on another piece of perspex useing this stuff and stuck the perspex in like a shelf inside the box, looked really cool and worked well.. not sure about how long the adhesive will hold for under normal operateing conditions though but it was a pain in the *** because i had to solder everythign before i stuck it to the perspex and it was more for show than actuall use, was one of my projects i had to do for my HND.
Owen
Old 19th August 2006, 09:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Self adhesive copper track Gainclone

Quote:
Originally posted by ash_dac
I was thinking about using copper track on matrix board to build a pcb for a Gainclone. To change track direction I would need to solder at the joint. Then maybe some lacquer after completion.

However, I'm unsure what current these tracks could handle, and is the peel adhesion enough ?
Hi ash_dac,

As mentioned in the pdf, this is also used for stained glass. It is available in various widths and may be cheaper bought through stained glass suppliers.

regards
Old 20th August 2006, 07:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Self adhesive copper track Gainclone

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Erskine

Hi ash_dac,

As mentioned in the pdf, this is also used for stained glass. It is available in various widths and may be cheaper bought through stained glass suppliers.

regards
In a normal pcb how is the copper bonded to the circuit board ?

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm not too sure if I used matrix board that the track would stick to the board due to the holes. Once soldered I guess it would hold together. But would the components be under strain ?
Old 20th August 2006, 08:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Forgot to say that the LMXXXX chip has to be mounted diagonally!
Old 20th August 2006, 09:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi ash_dac,

I can't answer all your questions but as I had all the bits on hand I did a little experiment, see picture.

It definitely sticks to the protoboard.

The stuff I used seems a little thin, but should still work OK.

At one end, I applied the soldering iron to see what happens when it gets very hot. The glue seems to let go around the edges but it didn't lift right off.

So its probably worth experimenting with.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proto board with copper tape.jpg.jpg (82.2 KB, 923 views)
Old 20th August 2006, 09:17 AM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the soldered legs will hold it in place. The proto board then just acts to hold the components and copper strips in their rightful places.

You can fold the copper strip at the corners. Do not cut it!
Fold it round to the angle you want. Lift the excess up to a point, press the flat strip down into the board and then fold the sticky up bit over on top of the flat strip. You can even sweat some solder into the two adjacent faces.
Old 20th August 2006, 10:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi

You will have trouble with the LM**** pin pitch using that matrix board from Maplin.You will have to bend some pins of the LM**** to fit the holes.

Sorry to throw water on your idea but why not just buy yourself a couple of metres of CT100, and use the inner conductor to hard wire the components together.
Old 20th August 2006, 11:01 AM   #9
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My son's school uses this stuff stuck to MDF for teaching basic electronics. It seems to stsnd up to inexpert sodering pretty well!
Old 20th August 2006, 12:29 PM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
single core 0.6mm is ideal for all the low to medium current interconnections. Very short lengths (<5mm) left without insulation. Longer lengths with insulation kept on. Colours help trace the circuits workings.

Hide this!Advertise here!