Self adhesive copper track Gainclone - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2006, 06:29 AM   #11
ash_dac is offline ash_dac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi,
single core 0.6mm is ideal for all the low to medium current interconnections. Very short lengths (<5mm) left without insulation. Longer lengths with insulation kept on. Colours help trace the circuits workings.
With regards to this should I take a length of wire run it underneath the matrix board, coiling it around component leads as necessary, and then solder ?
Old 24th August 2006, 08:31 AM   #12
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
you will probably find under board is easier (just like tracks) but it depends on how busy it gets. Be flexible.

A 90degree bend is probably secure enough. Doing more (180degrees) makes it more difficult to make changes.
If the wire is very short just touching the side of a component leg will be enough to get a secure solder joint.
Old 28th August 2006, 07:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Is soldering components to LM3886 bad practice?

In the past I have tried soldering to IC's but have struggled to get good joints due to the IC package dissipating soldering iron heat.
Old 29th August 2006, 07:20 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default CHIPamp works of art

Hi,
I have seen some direct to pin build photos.
They look very effective and are often works of art that any builder would be pround of.

Try a slightly higher iron temperature. It will allow faster working and not put any more total heat into the pins.
Old 29th August 2006, 03:22 PM   #15
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ash_dac
Hi,

Is soldering components to LM3886 bad practice?

In the past I have tried soldering to IC's but have struggled to get good joints due to the IC package dissipating soldering iron heat.

Some would say its the prefered way.... never had a problem soldering anything to a chipamp pin... not one of those stupid pins that is like oil and water whern you show it hot solder.
Old 29th August 2006, 05:21 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic

Some would say its the prefered way.... never had a problem soldering anything to a chipamp pin... not one of those stupid pins that is like oil and water whern you show it hot solder.

Hi,

...Make the ground pin long, and solder to a metal ground wire. I'm not exatly sure how to layout the grounding.

Decoupling:- As pin 8 is connected to V- through a resistor. Can pin 8 be used as V- decoupling point ? (Pin 8 is decoupled in the datasheet but so is the V- supply. Decoupling pin 7 to 8 would be much easier and looking at the -PSRR might be worthwhile.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th August 2006, 08:21 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi,
correct grounding practice is crippled by the internal layout of most chipamps.

To help alleviate this inherent problem, the external grounding must be exemplary.
UNDERSTAND the requirement first, then design the layout to achieve the desired result.
Don't just blunder in and hope that big ground wires connecting every zeroVolt reference in random order will be successful.
Old 30th August 2006, 11:53 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,
correct grounding practice is crippled by the internal layout of most chipamps.

To help alleviate this inherent problem, the external grounding must be exemplary.
UNDERSTAND the requirement first, then design the layout to achieve the desired result.
Don't just blunder in and hope that big ground wires connecting every zeroVolt reference in random order will be successful.
Thanks for the tips.

Any grounding /pcb book recommendations ?

I suppose NS might supply the internals
Old 30th August 2006, 12:50 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Try a slightly higher iron temperature. It will allow faster working and not put any more total heat into the pins.
Wouldn't it be the soldering irons wattage that would be the main factor here?

And I thought ICs were really sensitive to heat, on projects I have worked on in the past involving ICs, there have been warning about heat going into ICs and some have even requested little IC heatsink clamp thingies.

Cheers, Nic.
Old 30th August 2006, 05:14 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi,
most semis specify 300degC for 10seconds maximum.
If you delay by trying to heat up a pin with too low a tip temperature then heat transfers to the internals and risks damage.

If you can get a succesfull joint at 330degC in 5 seconds you end up with LESS heat inside the semi and less risk of damage. But you must be quick.

Hide this!Advertise here!