schotty vs bridge rectifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
its also a question that is applicable to chip amps vs discrete..

The schottky diodes are discrete, and have a very nice cut off characteristic, whereas the bridge's that are available tend to be encapsulated single wafer 'ordinary' diodes.

However, and heres the rub - single wafer items are usually much, much better matched interms of the charecteristics in comparison to thier discrete counterparts - so in the gainclone, the psu behaves in a more uniform way with a bridge, compared to a discrete bridge made of schottkys. The downside is that most cheapo bridges have quite nasty sharp cut-off characteristics, and unless properly managed (in the power supply), can inject large amounts of RF into the circuitry bevause of it.

This is often audible in a simple PSU, however it is so easily blocked using a high amperage choke (it only needs to be a few mH, and ferrite cores are ok in this instance) after the caps, on in each rail, and one in the ground connection, and then comparisons become in the main academic between the two types...

Just my thoughts

Owen

i just thought i'd say... stop stealing my name! :p im the only owen in this village...
just kidding..
i always wondered about what diod's to use for a rectifier.. but never really paid too much atention to it and always just used what i had lying around that was up to the job..
Owen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.