1/2 DIY LM3886 amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
paulb said:
Skinnyboy, I did just what you're doing, but to a Sony amp. I had to cut down the supply rails a bit (using two transistors), but all in all it was really easy to lift out the old amps and put in the new ones. I used Rod's PCBs, which I highly recommended. I had to increase the gain a bit to more closely match the old amp, but otherwise no change to Rod's circuit.

Never mind halojoy, I think he just got a bad batch or something...
:scratch:

Ok, kewl.. Well, I don't have the original transformer,(it got donated to another anp I got for free and gave to a friend) which should make it easier for me as I can pick which trans I want.. Thanx for all teh help... now, to find some money...

In control ...... or .... not

SkinnyBoy said:
This is never going to be done... Why? cos I have no reason to do it... I already have 2 amps in my room, one in the lounge (not mine personally) I lent one to a friend, and my uncle has one that hes not using that I could probably have... so, why make one??
GIVE ME ANSWERS!!!
Tankyou, come again...
I am always here for you
so I give you a PRINCI PALLY answer

Pal
this is how I do it
life is too short to waste lifespans and resources
on things not called for
what is your per sin nal call - here mi calling! - nota bene there are more than one call
take what you need
and leave what you DO NOT NEEEEEED for others to need

you are so right in your thinking at young age
that I bow before how great thou art

come on little skinny boy
give them what you've got
let's go - come with me - follow your master
he said

Q is
who is YOUR master
follow him

Re: In control ...... or .... not

halojoy said:

I am always here for you
so I give you a PRINCI PALLY answer

Pal
this is how I do it
life is too short to waste lifespans and resources
on things not called for
what is your per sin nal call - here mi calling! - nota bene there are more than one call
take what you need
and leave what you DO NOT NEEEEEED for others to need

you are so right in your thinking at young age
that I bow before how great thou art

come on little skinny boy
give them what you've got
let's go - come with me - follow your master
he said

Q is
who is YOUR master
follow him

Knew I shouldn't have asked...

Due to the fact that a suitable transformer to run 4 60watt amps is going to cost over 80bux, I think I will attempt to use a switchmode powersupply.. any problem with that?

The idea is just to modify a standard computer powersupply by changing the windings.... any problem with that?

I may also need to change the value of some of the filter caps.. any problem with that? (do you see a pattern?)

Also, possible more filter chokes/inductors on the output... any problem with that? (yes, a definite pattern)

I should be able to get over 250watts from one without too much trouble... A fan will probably be required however.. any problem with that? (QUIT IT!!! ITS GETTING ANNOYING!!!)

Well, hope I get atleast one reply... any problem with that? (NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO AWAY!!!)

i am here.................................... again - who else

so you will build 4 amps?
all problems you may encounter
could be solved
to a degree or in another way

:angel:

You have to set your own determination to it.
When you have decided your goal
I & many more will support you to 99%

so
come on! :cool:
set your goal
according to your vision :angel:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SkinnyBoy said:
Due to the fact that a suitable transformer to run 4 60watt amps is going to cost over
80bux, I think I will attempt to use a switchmode powersupply.. any problem with that?

Getting a switchmode to not dump a lot of grunge into the amps is VERY tricky. Suggust you pay for the transformer and go that route.

and won't you need something like 500-600 VA for 4 of those amps (i'm using 225VA for each one of my 3875 (and for the 1875).

dave

planet10 said:

Paul,

can you outline how you accomplished that -- almost all the close to dead Japanese amps i have that it would be nice to do this to have rails too high.

dave
Sorry I missed this question for a few days. I used a capacitance multiplier circuit with a couple of zener diodes. Dead simple. Circuit based on the ESP one at www.sound.com, but with zeners added at the bases of the Darlington transistors. Mounted everything on the original heat sink. Those old Sony VFET amps got really hot - it's a heck of a sink (and chimney!) for a Class AB amp.

Here's another solution: I'm now building two pair of ESP3As to run from a +/- 50V supply, one channel on the + supply, other channel on the - supply. I'm modifying the circuit to run each off a single supply, but of opposite polarity. Yes, I need output capacitors. Rod has indicated it should work fine. These are for my Advent Powered Loudspeakers I'm retrofitting.

SkinnyBoy said:
This is never going to be done... Why? cos I have no reason to do it... I already have 2 amps in my room, one in the lounge (not mine personally) I lent one to a friend, and my uncle has one that hes not using that I could probably have... so, why make one??

GIVE ME ANSWERS!!!

Tankyou, come again...
Having lots of amps is not a reason to not build more of them.
Paul

p.s. It's not that I'm not sorry for the double negative....

planet10 said:

Getting a switchmode to not dump a lot of grunge into the amps is VERY tricky. Suggust you pay for the transformer and go that route.

and won't you need something like 500-600 VA for 4 of those amps (i'm using 225VA for each one of my 3875 (and for the 1875).

dave

Well, how do soundcards and internal computer speakers eliminate the noise??

Umm... what about it?? lol Nah, not that high power....

go for to use what you've got

go for it
we will assist you, SkinnyBoy

a CD-player have a lot of "disturbance" within itself
It is not as much worse in a PComputer
so it is quite alright to use +12 volts supply

if you have 2 old PSU you can get +-12 volt
like said: try to avoid switch-up circuit
use sensitive speakers - need not many watts - in 4 ohm

Halo
Cing of nobody but h'selv

Re: go for to use what you've got

halojoy said:
go for it
we will assist you, SkinnyBoy

a CD-player have a lot of "disturbance" within itself
It is not as much worse in a PComputer
so it is quite alright to use +12 volts supply

if you have 2 old PSU you can get +-12 volt
like said: try to avoid switch-up circuit
use sensitive speakers - need not many watts - in 4 ohm

Halo
Cing of nobody but h'selv

What have you done with the old halojoy... you are a fake.. halojoy would never give usefull information!!!!!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Here's another solution: I'm now building two pair of ESP3As to run from a +/- 50V supply, one channel on the + supply, other channel on the - supply. I'm modifying the circuit to run each off a single supply, but of opposite polarity. Yes, I need output capacitors. Rod has indicated it should work fine.

I would be interested to hear your findings, I have a couple of 50-0-50 toroids lying around, that have an undefined future;)

SkinnyBoy, try putting a 'scope across your soundcard outputs, you will astonished at the amount of grunge on the signal, the earth especially has lots of noise, ( strange but true), or if you have no 'scope, just connect it to an amp, with no signal output , and see how much noise they produce.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.