Lm3886t / Lm3886tf ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's the same chip. No changes are needed to be done. The only differens between those two is that the TF has a insulated tab. The T-tab is not insulated, and are connected to V-

If you attach a LM3886T to a heatsink and dont isolate it (no plastic screw and isolation-plate) you will have 35V at the heatsink...

the LM3886TF is the insulated version and has a thermal impedance considerably higher than the LM3886T -- the difference is 1 C/W which means that you will need a heat sink almost double the surface area of that using the LM3886T -- or a fan.

I see no benefit in using the LM3886TF in DIY applications -- there is no sonic benefit, the chips are identical. Perhaps there is a metaphysical benefit -- you could get the same effect with a tumbler of gin.

Hello, thanks for the quick reply.
So no changes to the psu are needed atall - the snubber psu would be fine? and likewise brians amp circuit could be used without a problem aslong as the back plate was insulated?
no changes?
I am a total newbie, just want to make sure theres nothing else :)

jackinnj you talk as if I am chosing to use an LM3886TF as oppose to an LM3886T which is what I am actualyl using.
In regards to the thermal insulation does this mean that the LM3886T will only need half the size heatsink of a LM3886TF ?

Hello,

Does this therefore mean that using LM3886T's would be a bad idea as a massive heatsink would be required?

Could I get away with not insulating the back plate if I isolated the heatsink from everything else, then there would be no problem of needing a bigger heatsink?

matt09 said:
anyone? Would it be ok if the heatsink was isolated away from grounds, etc to not insulate the tab so that I get more heat dissapated per square inch and not need a larger heatsink?

with heat sink compound and a mica insulator you add 0.2 C/W to thermal impedance.

for the Bridgeclone (which will throw off 120 watts around the clock into an 8 ohm load) I insulated the heatsinks. If you are just starting out this is not a good idea -- besides -- the thermal protection of the Overture series chips really does work.

jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.