lm4780 heatsinking...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yeah screws, nylon screws if u dont want the heatsink to be live, and a pad for insulation, other than that just metal screws and thermal compound, a pentium2 cpu heatsink and fan would probebly be ok, but it will run quite hot at full power, pick up a old pentium4/amd heatsink and fan, that will cool it fine without any fan modifications, use a couple of zenors to lower the voltage perhaps if its too loud(the fan).

i gotta test out my little p2p copy of nationals reference pcb, ill be using a p4 cpu heatsink and fan, so ill let you know how it goes.

click here for image

well i didnt end up using the p4 heatsink/fan, i found something else laying about that was easier to mount too.

should give u a idea, at even midly turned up volumes(no fan), it hits SPiKe(nationals protection setup) very quickly, a 120mm fan kept it at bay however, it was mildy warm.

the heatsink is finned at the back, about 3cm in height, but this particular heatsink has a very thin base, which appears to be a bad thing, it majorily hotspots.

Click here for image

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.