The Best Sounding DUAL opamps - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2014, 05:42 PM   #231
diyAudio Member

The LME49860 supposedly does not need any changes because it's technically same opamp as LM4562. At least according to datasheets.

OPA2604 need some investigation i guess. If someone could help me to understand if it's ok for OPA2604 will work well HERE as is i'd appreciate it
Old 16th June 2014, 06:22 PM   #232
kaos is offline kaos  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
If you can't work out how to check/measure that the circuit is, or is not, misbehaving then don't guess at component changes.
geez Andrew, wreck all their fun ...

Actually if the circuit's well behaved with the 4562 it'll probably be okay with the others listed, the 4562 being the more finicky of the bunch.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:35 PM   #233
apolo is offline apolo  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
could the "change" be more to do with not optimising the decoupling to suit the different opamp?

Have you tested/measured the circuit to prove that performance has not deteriorated?
in that case we dont even have to change op amps. if you change any passive component in the circuit around opamp you will hear the difference. in my opinion better play with op amps.
Old 26th June 2014, 03:15 PM   #234
diyAudio Member

Here's an interesting observation I had recently - not long ago I upgraded my TPA Placid power supplies (shunt-regulated psu's) to newer 2.1 version and noticed that all of my opamps sound more similar than they did previously. They all sound darker now. I guess opamps are more sensitive to cleaner power (even if it's clean vs ultra-clean) than I thought.
I decided to test all opamps i have again and differences are there, just less pronounced:
LM4562 is still brighter than all the rest but feels more smooth and rounded, more forward and narrow soundstage. Sounds somewhat artificial sometimes...
LM49860 is darker than 4562, the highs feel more detailed (but also more grainy) while midrange is smoother and less pronounced. Less artificial sounding...
OPA2604 sounds warm, bassy, deep and smooth, but highs are rolled-off much. Most musical of the bunch though, least forward sounding, least artificial.
OPA2134 is somewhat similar to 2604 with more highs, but more grain and overall sound is not as smooth or musical.
NE5532 reminds of 2604 but with more highs, more distortions, not as smooth...but for some reason sound balanced, neutral and is easy to listen to, even though I hear it's flaws easily.

There's one thing in common among all opamps it seems...they all suck! I'll keep looking for discrete opamp solution or it's time to go full balanced...

Last edited by AlexanderTD; 26th June 2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 26th June 2014, 03:27 PM   #235
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

I think 4558 is the very best there is if you absolutely positively got to kill every audiophile in the room except the deaf one.

Mostly all opamps sound the same if you have crap source.
So far the best one ive heard is OPA2134 but I almost never use dual opamps in my designs. Id rather got for single ones.
Old 26th June 2014, 11:47 PM   #236
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderTD View Post
OPA2604 sounds warm, bassy, deep and smooth, but highs are rolled-off much.
Most musical of the bunch though, least forward sounding, least artificial.
Intresting. Thought I'm the only liking the 2604.
However, a matter of the environment.
Old 27th June 2014, 02:40 AM   #237
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
In my experience opamp sound is very much a function of the environment. Power supply impedance is crucial as is exposure to RF - JFETs tend to produce less audio band IMD from that.
Old 29th June 2014, 05:23 AM   #238
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kastor L
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudihan View Post
I am especially interested in the Linear line -- are there better dual opamps than LT1364?

I'm interested in C-Load.

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/design-note/dn83.pdf

Is this why the LT series is popular? Anyone know how C-Load affects driving transducers directly?

The article is from 1994, are there better C-Load IC's yet? No, right?
Old 6th July 2014, 10:06 PM   #239
diyAudio Member

any suggestions for a worthy substitute (the best possible) of op275?
+17 power -17

thx
Old 21st July 2014, 03:08 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

I continued my experiments with my Buffalo/Legato3.1 and tried to compare my duals agains pair of OPA827 in adapter. The dual 827 result in such a smooth and pleasant sound that it's actually suspicious.
I see that i need to get more knowledge about opamps or test it with measurements.
Although working envirounment for opamp is quite simple - there's only 100pf cap in opamp's negative feedback loop. Also there's LME49600 buffer after opamp with negative feedback to opamp's input with 5k resistor in it...
If someone could give me a hint if i really can swap opamps here without changing anything, or should i stick to LM4562 clones before my knowledge allow for more? Thanks!

Last edited by AlexanderTD; 21st July 2014 at 03:17 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!