What's a preamp? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I have a mostly built gainclone via a mostly salvage operation (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81239). Now, I have new n00b questions... :)

So, I got this sony dvd player for $0.50 at a garage sale. I am using it to test my lm3875 gainclone. If i take the headphone output, and run it to my gainclone, it rocks away (kinda surprisingly loud for what I *think* is just 20w).

However, if I take the "raw" line level output from the dvd player, and run that to my gainclone... I get no sound.

So, apparently a pre-amp is like... required!? That is boggling my mind. Why did I hear (literally) nothing?

have you tried that output with another amp? or with the audio inputs of a TV?
if you get sound on the tv or other system => something wrong with your amp. i don't know what, since you can get sound with the headphones output...
if you get no sound either (chances are this is the case) => that's why you got that player so inexpensively. those outputs are dead.

of course, check the volume control first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.