Joshua Tree With Gainclone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the process of building an LM3886 gainclone right now, and I'm trying to decide if I should use a preamp, or just an attenuator with it to control volume. I really like the idea of using the darwin S/S, with the joshua tree attenuator (or something similar, I might just make my own) and no active preamp.

I'd like to have the attenuator in a seperate chassis, but I'm worried I may get signal degridation by having an interconnect between the attenuator and the actual GC amp, do you think this would actually be a problem, or am I just being paranoid? I suppose I could use a very simple preamp along with the attenuator / SS, if I do decide to do this would it be better to use the attenuator between the SS and preamp stage, or between the preamp stage and the GC?

I realise there is some information regarding this on the forum, but I felt it necesarry to ask the specific question to be sure I'm getting the best information possible.

cheers,
Daniel

just out of curiousity, what active buffer do you use? There's lots of different designs out there that seem like they'd work nicely, which almost makes it more difficult to make one, because I'll spend all my time contenplating which design to go by.. or end up making my own.

cheers,
Daniel

As an answer to my own question, I think I'm going to continue bugging Russ for a PCB layout for the KooKoo, and use it with the Joshua tree attenuator, that way it will be an easier build for me, which really was the whole idea of my building a GC in the first place, and it certainly answers the question of whether to put the preamp before or after the attenuator.. do both! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.