Yamaha HTR-5830

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know its not a great amp, but I came across one and have a question.

Do any of you know, or could you find, the internal crossover frequency between the sub output and the speaker output, if you enable a subwoofer?

Thanks for any help,
Matt

Edit: Also, do you think you could give me the same information for the Sony STR DE485? I found the manual online but still cant locate that info. I'm not a fan of the reciever, it's a friends...but I still need to know.

What I understand, there is not an actual crossover frequency when you use a subwoofer.

The subwoofer is intended to reproduce that band, below fc of the the satellites, as a complement.

Actually it is not a 3 way system, but a parallel arrangement working the low end + medium & half end.

Anyone is free to correct me if I am wrong.

Kind regards,

Hugo

Thinking better, when you connect a subwoofer at the "sub" terminals of a manufactured equipment, the signal should come from an amplifier working just the low end band.

In this case we could have an actual crossover frequency, but as you say, not specified by the manufacturer.

I think that you can measure it with a voltmeter if you are able to reproduce a variable frequency signal. This could give you an indication on the crossover frequency. Just disconect the subwoofer and replace it with an 8 ohms resistor, and measure the voltage across it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.