50 watts amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear sir....

i am plannin to setup a subwoofer n "4 other speakers" ...i have a 8 " Dainty..100 watts RMS.. the problem is the amplifier is usually connected before the crossover network rite... n my other speakers are rated as 5 watts.. 4 ohms ( i managed to remove 2 speakers from an old Pioneer music system with pretty gud cone area which i plan to use as midrange...) the tweeter too is of the same specification.... to power the subwoofer i will have to use a amplifier of 50 watts RMS ( which i guess will be enough.. plz. plz. plz.. help me out if u have any suggestions with it) which will be connected to the crossover network... the other speakers are also connected to the crossover
..so wont the power from the amplifier burn my "other speakers"...or can i give the input into the crossover through a small amplifier ... then from the crossover through the 50 watt amplifier to the subwoofer
-- am planning 2 install this in my room not in a car...

i cant go 4 expensive ones as the means r limited...

secondly.... i tried..workin with an IC 810 powered amplifier ( 7 watts) for my other speakers... but most ppl say .... using IC 810 is not a Good idea... can u plz help me with a amplifier for my other speakers too????? i mean smthn which i can build.......and not very expensive

as for the sub amp.... this is one circuit i found on net ... will this be enough.... Plz check out

http://sound.westhost.com/project19.htm

if there is something better please help me

finally ...so can i connect the subwoofer through an amplifier which takes the input from the crossover "WOOFER OUT PUT SOCKET"

EDITED VERSION

This is the edited version ..... If the moderator can Please remove my first post.... n post this ....readers can save a lot of time

i am plannin to setup a subwoofer and "4 other speakers" ...i have a 8 " Dainty..100 watts RMS.. ... n my other speakers are rated as 5 watts.. 4 ohms ( i managed to remove 2 speakers from an old Pioneer music system with pretty gud cone area which i plan to use as midrange...) the tweeter too is of the same specification....

1) the problem is ... till now ...i used an IC 810 powered amplifier which feeds the signal into a crosssover.... n all "other " speakers...( i mean speakers other than the sub)... are directly connected ......now if i wanna connect a sub woofer wats the nex step.... shall i directly connect the "woofer out " from the crossover to the a sub amplifier n then to the crossover.....

2) secondly.... i tried..workin with an IC 810 powered amplifier ( 7 watts) for my other speakers... but most ppl say .... using IC 810 is not a Good idea... can u plz help me with a amplifier for my other speakers too????? i mean smthn which i can build.......and not very expensive

as for the sub amp.... this is one circuit i found on net ... will this be enough.... Plz check out

http://sound.westhost.com/project19.htm.... is this circuit throwing out 50 watts RMS or jus 50 watts.....i m totally confused

if there is something better please help me

HI swar,
Chuck that 810 right out, almost of all of them are fake .It was originally manufactured by SGS thomson which has since become STMicro, anyways it has way too much distortion and too little power to be of any use.Use something like the TA-7230~TA7207 etc although these are also fake , even the fake ones sound good and have decent power output at low distortion levels.The original devices were manufactured by Toshiba may be arnd 25 years back !! Almost all of the Japanese portable cassette players used these..and sounded decent.YOu will get these for arnd Rs 75/-, and very few external components are needed..can do on a piece of prototypin board, i used to have one for driving a pair of Philips headphones ! which it was pretty good at..

hi swaroop...
nice to read ur post , and infact i am also using dainty speakers. and if you r looking for a edcent 50 watts amp, try tda2050, it costs 40-45 rupees and easily available. use two ics in briged connection and you can get very easily 50 watts RMS @ 4 ohm with 12-0-12 V, 5 Amp supply....and i am saying this with confidance coz i have made one as a project in my collage.. dude this the best deal for cheap nd easy 50 watt sub..

Solution

this is a list of wat i have bot

IC 810 board amplifiers ....2 nos (RS 50 each) ....abs useless
IC 4440 Board amp.....powerful but distortion (RS 180)
2030 board amp( 4 IC board) ( for my sub which gives 40+40 watts)

and finally ... i m powering my mid range from my mercury computer speaker amplifier ( some 7 watts RMS)... coz very less distortion...

and as for the sub i have settled on the 2030 board...i have asked to modify my car battery charger ( 12v 3amp) to get a neutral ( coz its only '+' and '-' rite now.... no ground)...

ppl can u please tell me how reduce distortion and noise

to reduce distortion there are some basics you can follow...

..make sure you don't have dry joints..( make sure you solder all the components properly )..
Use a sturdy power supply..the kind of requirements you have ..60VA transformer will be good enough..but make sure you use sturdy filter caps ..at least 4700 mFD on each rail and fast rectifier diodes..it will go a long way in improving the quality of sound you have..(buy Panasonic or Nichicon filter caps..expensive but worth the money)
Make sure all the wiring is neatly done and keep input wires away from the transformer and AC wires...better put the tranny in a separate enclosure ( if you plan to use non-toroid type).

Mercury boards

i am using amplifier inside my computer speaker ( mercury ) to power mu mid range.. i have computer speaker and instead connected my pioneer midrange speaker ..... here wat can i do to reduce noise n distortion

and by the way if i am using a passive crossover.. do i need to amplify the signals before feeding it from the computer headfone out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.