Finally finished my amp! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2006, 10:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Finally finished my amp!

Hello,

I've been a long time lurker and have really enjoyed reading everything here. You all have contributed so much to this project.

About a year ago, I purchased a BrianGT kit and had it built-up in about one night. The next night I added temporary heat sinks, input and output wire, and my iPod as a source. I tested for DC offset (~ 4mv) and turned on some high-bit-rate music. What magic! I got goose bumps.

I decided to make my case out of aluminum plate being too cheap to buy a pre-built case. I suppose I wanted the challenge of working with metal for the first time too -- oh, and that serious piece of industrial equipment look.

Needless to say, the project stalled out because of not having the time and the tools. (I needed a bigger drill press to implement my original design.) I finally decided to modify the design a bit to work with the tools I had and whipped it out in a couple of weekends.

Anyway, the amp sounds great and I'm happy with the looks. My wife won't let me put it in the living room because it doesn't have a "refined je-ne-sais-quoi". That's OK. I'm building a MyRef amp that I'm going to put into a professional case. I'm also building a Kookaburra and a Darwin to go with it.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Here are a few pictures:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 16th June 2006, 12:31 PM   #2
frank1 is offline frank1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Finally finished my amp!

Quote:
Originally posted by bikedude
Hello,

I've been a long time lurker and have really enjoyed reading everything here. You all have contributed so much to this project.

About a year ago, I purchased a BrianGT kit and had it built-up in about one night. The next night I added temporary heat sinks, input and output wire, and my iPod as a source. I tested for DC offset (~ 4mv) and turned on some high-bit-rate music. What magic! I got goose bumps.

I decided to make my case out of aluminum plate being too cheap to buy a pre-built case. I suppose I wanted the challenge of working with metal for the first time too -- oh, and that serious piece of industrial equipment look.

Nice work bikedude:
I think I would just shorten the red, mains wire to the fuse as its very close to the right input socket.
Also, from the picture, it looks like the mains input to the fuse is wired to the front connector instead of the rear. If it is, there is a risk of electrocution if the fuse is replaced whilst powered. ( I know, it has happenned to me!)
Well done and keep up the good work.

Frank
Old 16th June 2006, 12:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
I for one do not think that is an ugly case in the least. Nice job! Looks far better than my first, second, third, fourth... amps.

Enjoy it, I bet it sounds great!

Cheers!
Russ
Old 16th June 2006, 12:47 PM   #4
quasi is offline quasi  Australia
diyAudio Member

I like it. Nice neat work. Do they come in black ? ...just kidding. Well done.
Old 16th June 2006, 02:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Finally finished my amp!

Quote:
Originally posted by frank1
[B]

I think I would just shorten the red, mains wire to the fuse as its very close to the right input socket.

[B]
It's actually not as close as it looks; there's a bit of forshortenging due to the lens length. However, it really looks like it could be shorter to avoid the possibility of anything leaking through. It would look a little neater too.

Quote:

Also, from the picture, it looks like the mains input to the fuse is wired to the front connector instead of the rear. If it is, there is a risk of electrocution if the fuse is replaced whilst powered. ( I know, it has happenned to me!)

This is one I struggled with for a while. I actually had it after the switch at one point. Then I thought that it would be better to keep the power as far out of the box as possible in case I ever did blow a fuse and didn't realize what the probelm was and decided to go poking around inside.

I will probably change it back to the way you suggest. It seems safer under normal operating conditions.

Quote:

Well done and keep up the good work.
Thanks for the compliment.
Old 16th June 2006, 02:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ White
I for one do not think that is an ugly case in the least. Nice job! Looks far better than my first, second, third, fourth... amps.

Enjoy it, I bet it sounds great!

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ!

I don't think it's ugly either. I will say that I enjoyed putting together the electronics and listening to the amp more than building the case. For me, the amount of time and effort that went into the case didn't justify the $50 of savings. My advice to other first timers is to just buy a case and enjoy the fruit sooner.

(K)
Old 16th June 2006, 05:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Finally finished my amp!

Quote:
Originally posted by frank1

Also, from the picture, it looks like the mains input to the fuse is wired to the front connector instead of the rear.

Frank

Oops. Looks like I missread what you were saying. I'll change that right away.

Thanks again,
bikedude
Old 16th June 2006, 11:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Very nice

Man I wish I could get hold of some alluminium like that.

I like your speaker terminals as well. Yes the WAF is a tuff nut to crack

Women just don't get it

I like the look of that case

Brett
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 17th June 2006, 07:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I got the aluminum at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/newreply.php . That probably doesn't help you in NZ. As an added bonus, they're local to me in Seattle and I was able to order online and pick it up myself.

I got the binding posts here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1150

I have the WAF as a key design factor in my next project.
Old 17th June 2006, 03:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Not sure what happended to the first URL in my last post and I can't figure out how to edit it.

I got the aluminum at www.onlinemetals.com http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Hide this!Advertise here!