Finally finished my amp!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've been a long time lurker and have really enjoyed reading everything here. You all have contributed so much to this project.

About a year ago, I purchased a BrianGT kit and had it built-up in about one night. The next night I added temporary heat sinks, input and output wire, and my iPod as a source. I tested for DC offset (~ 4mv) and turned on some high-bit-rate music. What magic! I got goose bumps.

I decided to make my case out of aluminum plate being too cheap to buy a pre-built case. I suppose I wanted the challenge of working with metal for the first time too -- oh, and that serious piece of industrial equipment look.

Needless to say, the project stalled out because of not having the time and the tools. (I needed a bigger drill press to implement my original design.) I finally decided to modify the design a bit to work with the tools I had and whipped it out in a couple of weekends.

Anyway, the amp sounds great and I'm happy with the looks. My wife won't let me put it in the living room because it doesn't have a "refined je-ne-sais-quoi". That's OK. I'm building a MyRef amp that I'm going to put into a professional case. I'm also building a Kookaburra and a Darwin to go with it.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Here are a few pictures:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

bikedude said:
Hello,

I've been a long time lurker and have really enjoyed reading everything here. You all have contributed so much to this project.

About a year ago, I purchased a BrianGT kit and had it built-up in about one night. The next night I added temporary heat sinks, input and output wire, and my iPod as a source. I tested for DC offset (~ 4mv) and turned on some high-bit-rate music. What magic! I got goose bumps.

I decided to make my case out of aluminum plate being too cheap to buy a pre-built case. I suppose I wanted the challenge of working with metal for the first time too -- oh, and that serious piece of industrial equipment look.

Nice work bikedude:
I think I would just shorten the red, mains wire to the fuse as its very close to the right input socket.
Also, from the picture, it looks like the mains input to the fuse is wired to the front connector instead of the rear. If it is, there is a risk of electrocution if the fuse is replaced whilst powered. ( I know, it has happenned to me!)
Well done and keep up the good work.

Frank

Re: Re: Finally finished my amp!

frank1 said:

I think I would just shorten the red, mains wire to the fuse as its very close to the right input socket.

It's actually not as close as it looks; there's a bit of forshortenging due to the lens length. However, it really looks like it could be shorter to avoid the possibility of anything leaking through. It would look a little neater too.

Also, from the picture, it looks like the mains input to the fuse is wired to the front connector instead of the rear. If it is, there is a risk of electrocution if the fuse is replaced whilst powered. ( I know, it has happenned to me!)

This is one I struggled with for a while. I actually had it after the switch at one point. Then I thought that it would be better to keep the power as far out of the box as possible in case I ever did blow a fuse and didn't realize what the probelm was and decided to go poking around inside.

I will probably change it back to the way you suggest. It seems safer under normal operating conditions.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the compliment.

Russ White said:
I for one do not think that is an ugly case in the least. :) Nice job! Looks far better than my first, second, third, fourth... amps. :D

Enjoy it, I bet it sounds great!

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ!

I don't think it's ugly either. I will say that I enjoyed putting together the electronics and listening to the amp more than building the case. For me, the amount of time and effort that went into the case didn't justify the $50 of savings. My advice to other first timers is to just buy a case and enjoy the fruit sooner.

(K)

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I think women just don't like the raw metal look ... it clashes with the curtains or something. Just spray it shiny black so it looks like the Panasonic unit she's already comfortable with, then name it after her. Oh, and tell her it won an award on DIY Audio for engineering excellence. I hereby award it Todd's award for engineering excellence. If that doesn't do it, ask her for advice in improving the looks so that it can be displayed in the living room. That makes it her fault if it still doesn't qualify. ;)

..Todd

taj said:
Just spray it shiny black so it looks like the Panasonic unit she's already comfortable with, then name it after her.

I thought aluminum was supposed to be hard to paint. Are there any inexpensive annodizing shops? Or any primer/paint combination that works well with aluminum?

My guess is that paint out of a can (without an airbrush) isnt going to look any better than a nice buffing job. It should be possible to get a dull chrome like look with the right buffing.

Too bad there isnt such a thing as "brushed black anodized" in a can?!? Or is there?

jacco vermeulen said:

Nice piece of work, Bloke on Wheels.
Don't quite understand why you did not thread all holes in the thick side plates. You could have done without the L-brackets, plenty rigid.

That was my original plan. However, my drill press wasn't big enough to fit the side bars / heat sinks on end. I just got to the point where I decided it was better to alter the design and use the angle bar than to have the amp sitting on the bench collecting dust.

(K)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.