LM 4780 Mono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I wanted to build an 3886 amp, but never had the time.
I dindn't buy any parts yet.
Now I heard about the new 4780. As I have also 4 Ohm speakers,
as my old Canton 3-Way with 10 inch woofers, I'm afraid a single 3886
might have not enough power to control them properly.

So i wonder if the 4780 with both channels parallel will be suitable for me?

How ist the sound of the 4780 compared to 3886 and TDA 7293?
Does paralleling affect the sound?
Are there known problems?

What do you think about a simple disign like this?
http://www.chipamp.com/lm4780.pdf

I think about soldering the few parts directly at the pins to spare
a PCB...

Hi,
If you are new , i would recommend the simple single chip/channel design with 3886. The 4780 is two 3886s combined in one package.
LM3886 would drive 4 ohm loadspeakers without problems , if the supply voltage is not too high and adequate heatsink is used.
You can squeeze a bit more power from 4780 in paralell configuration.

Regards,
Lukas.

I'm not a total newbee, but I do not have many experience with audio.

LM3886 would drive 4 ohm loadspeakers without problems
But I often read people find that the single chip has problems to drive speakers with big woofers/control the woofers.
I think many people who are very satisfied with single chips use them only for smaller 2-way satellites who are supported by subwoofer(?)

So why not use a 4780? Is it more delicate than the 3886?

Stephan

Hi,
I have a 3 way speaker system with 12" woofers.I have never had any problems. What do you mean "control woofers" ?
I think the choice between single or paralell design is mainly your power reuirements. Note that 2xLM3886 would be slightly more powerful than 1xLM4780 because the latter one in a single case cannot dissipate as much power as two 3886s.

Regards,
Lukas.

I use my lm3886 to drive a pair of Infinity Kappa 8.2i, and they're known for being very "hungry" speakers, but i have no problems whatsoever.
It's a joy to play my old vinyl on this setup, really dynamic and with plenty of punch in the lower end.

Just my two cents.

Have a nice day :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.