woofer popping sound when driven hard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,i am wondering if any-body can shed some light on a problem i am having . The woofers make a popping sound when driven very hard. The woofer excursions dont seem to be excessive.It isnt motorboating, the dc offset is less than 1/10th dcv on the amps.The sound comes through on all the woofers.The amps dont appear to be clipping.Only happens when there is heavy transiant bass played very load.
The system is the Linkwitz Orion speaker system driven by 4x Marchand PM 21 amps (LM 3886 chip amp ) with 2x Marchand PS11 PS.I have tried two pre-amps with no change to the problem.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks caw.

caw,

The amps are 65 Watts each. (x 4 = 260 Watts )

The power supplies are 80 Watts each (x 2 = 160 Watts)

You are running out of gas! Most likely the sound you are hearing is the over-current protection on the power supply kicking in. Call Marchand. Likely you need close to 400-500 Watts of
supply for these amps.

Look here

Happy now Quasi?

Oh, and caw, my signature line below has been that way for months, no insult intended!

:D

woofer popping sound

Thanks every-boby for your kind replies. To answer some of your replies. The amps dont seem to be clipping as there is no noticable distortion from them even when driven hard ( or conversely they are and my ears are done for). To swap amps would be difficult because i would need to find x 4 amps. I dont have access to a scope. Turning down the volume just isnt an option some-times ( i have to when the popping starts). Sorry about the dvc, i ment dcv, ( my dislexcia coming into play there ).
The tread from poobah stuck a cord about the power supplies.I have e-mailed Mr Marchand and am awaiting a reply.In the next few days i thought i would try hooking up the two PS to one channel ( there-for having one PS for each of the two stereo amps ) and see if the popping persists. My amps are not bridged. Four stereo amps, eight channels, one channel for each of the eight drivers.
Thanks very much again all.
caw.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.