WWGC 3875 finally coming together

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, the Wardsweb Gainclone (WWGC) has been on the shelf for over a year, so I decided to work on it today. For those who don't remember a very long time ago, I'm using LM3875TF chips sampled from National Semiconductor, 6061 billet aluminum plate, 1" plexiglass, Parts Express transformer, heat sinks off Ebay and misc other parts I had laying around. So, after much cutting, drilling, tapping, sanding and fitting, it's all built now, just need to heat up the soldering iron and wire it.

I started a build page for it here: http://wardsweb.org/audio/gainclone.html

gcbackopen_800.jpg

Re: Great Job

RCBandwidth said:
That really is a great looking amp you have put together.The Plexiglass must have taken a a good bit of work to get it to look like that.Now you just need a matching pre-amp!

Regards Bob C.
Thanks...the plexiglass was cut on my table saw, sanded on a oscillating table belt sander and trimmed using my router table. Then drilled with a press and hand tapped. Yes, a bit of work but no other way to get it done. The hardest part was the IEC cutout. Had to finish that by hand because the tolerance is tight.

Now pre... :scratch2:

bart_dood said:
How did it compare with the more pricey gear?

I am building a little 3875 to work with some tiny speakers (3" tang band) until the house renovations are done and I can get my pass labs pen zen out of storage etc.

:D
The little LM3875 really does well. Everyone was impressed what a DIY chip amp can do. I was joking it sounded so good because we were using the $100 power cord and $1000 line conditioner from the high end amps. The little amp never broke a sweat. Matter a fact the case and heat sinks never even get warm to the touch.

Here is the latest on the little amp that could. Here it is pushing some diy Selah Audio XT-8 Line Arrays. Each ported enclosure is 72"H, 14"W, 18"D, and houses eight 7" Vifa XT-18 midbass drivers and eight Fountek JP-2 ribbon tweeters. The crossovers use Alpha Core copper foil inductors, Hovland caps, and Mills resistors.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dxvideo said:
Is it a photo or 4th gen. ipod? And does anybody knows what are the SNR and THD levels of them both for line out and earphone out?? (For the other pic.)
And the fireplace is very attractive!:D

That is a 30gig Photo. The iPod uses the Wolfson #WM8721 DAC with integrated headphone driver (headphone amp).

LINE LEVEL OUTPUT
- SNR: 98-100dB
- THD: 80-86dB
- Dynamic Range: 85-95dB

HEADPHONE AMP OUTPUT
- SNR: 98dB typical
- THD: 0.1%
- OUTPUT: 30mW per channel @ 32ohms, 55mW per channel @ 16ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.