LM3886 vs LM3875

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive found very few comments comparing the two chips to each other.

After a few months of blissful enjoyment of my BrianGT LM3875 kit, I just built a pair of P2P LM3886 amps. I've only been able to bench test one side at a time with a crappy source but I am VERY impressed. I used my BrianGT power supply with 33.4V rails. Also. since I was wondering about the difference between 8 and 4 ohm loads, I took my two 8 ohm speakers and parralled them. I was actually astounded by the sound. Deep bass, chest pounding percusion, singing highs. This from a crappy earphone out of a portable CD player.

Since I presently only have one power supply and one set of speakers, it would be pretty much a pain to compare them side by side.

Would enjoy any comments from those of you with experience with both chips. Is the 4 ohm load that much difference? Or was it the fact that I had twice the speaker? The P2P? The chip?

Thanks all.

I have preferred my LM3875 GC's although there is very little in it and other factors, eg type of power supply, component choice, would also have influenced the sound.

I do like P2P over a PCB though! :att'n:

The bottom line is both the LM chips make good amplifiers and there is little need to worry which one sounds better. More important is the speakers you are using. ;)

Yup. When I got back to the LM3875 system, it did seem as if it was sweeter sounding. But of course it's been burned in for months.

I have a great deal going with my brother in law. Am building him an LM3875 gainclone (from Peter Danial) in return for which, he is bulding me a pair of 3/4 in. solid cherry speaker boxes!

They will be a "D'appolito array" with a 4 ohm impediance. That's when I'll have some fun comparing!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.