Chip Amp Photo Gallery

Pjotter,

Well, that puts my little project to shame! Incredible. Solid block of aluminum milled? That's WAY beyond my audio budget. But maybe you have connections... Anyway, very nice work. But what about the L channel of input 1? And what of those RCAs sticking out of the bottom? And what chip are you using?
Carlp,

It didn't put your project to a shame, it's just different :) where's your project located? I'd love to see it.

It is a solid block of aluminum. I'm a cnc machinist so that's why I'm able to make it like this.

You can click on the link in the top of the post, the whole project is there.

There's a small bracket inside which is in front of the hole for the rca, I'll have to adjust the bracket in order to make it fit.

The rca you see at the bottom are temporary soldered to the pcb so I could test everything before I actually milled the aluminum.

I'm using the lm3886 chips ;-)

More information is found in my project thread, if you like you can follow the build there because she isn't finished yet

Last edited:
Well, you're right, they ARE different. Among other things I'm someone who likes to re-use and repurpose, so mine is partly a scrap bin project. But I do love the solid aluminum approach. You've done impressive work. Thanks for the details on the project. I did eventually take a look at your thread but hadn't seen any mention of the LM3886 and didn't read about the bottom RCAs. It all makes more sense now.

My project post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/79303-chip-amp-photo-gallery-275.html#post4055450

Sanyo + nokia peace, friendship:). STK4048, SMPS KA3525+GDT+IRF740, +-60V, +12V.

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,507
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,405
  • IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 1,389
Small is beautiful :)

Here's a very small chip amp (TDA7297 ebay module), which I finally managed to finish. I've had this idea for some time, but the build was rather complicated, given my lack of "proper" tools. Everything was done by hand, no CNC machinery in my garage :)

Rather small compared to other builds in this thread, but still interesting. I think it looks OK :)

Attachments

• Kuc_TDA7297_03.JPG
    Kuc_TDA7297_03.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 525
  • Kuc_TDA7297_04.JPG
    Kuc_TDA7297_04.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 535
  • Kuc_TDA7297_01.JPG
    Kuc_TDA7297_01.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,261
Here's a very small chip amp (TDA7297 ebay module), which I finally managed to finish. I've had this idea for some time, but the build was rather complicated, given my lack of "proper" tools. Everything was done by hand, no CNC machinery in my garage :)

Rather small compared to other builds in this thread, but still interesting. I think it looks OK :)
Very very nice!

You happen to have some pictures of the inside? I'm curious to the heatsink

Nice work, den_hr. That's impossibly small! I too wonder about heat sinks or dissipation.

Very very nice!

You happen to have some pictures of the inside? I'm curious to the heatsink

Here are a few pics of the inside. I'm running it on 12V, and the heatsink doesn't really get warm - we'll see how it behaves inside. But, the heatsink touches the inside aluminium "sled", so that might help a little. No heat paste or anything - but the chip doesn't get really hot on 12V, so I think it's OK.

The first image is the photo of the ebay kit, as purchased - I've done some mods on it, so it's not stock...
The other pics show the insides... Relatively messy, but I think it will be OK...
:)

Attachments

• TDA7297_module.jpg
    TDA7297_module.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 777
  • Kuc_TDA7297_06-OTV.JPG
    Kuc_TDA7297_06-OTV.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 785
  • Kuc_TDA7297_07-OTV.JPG
    Kuc_TDA7297_07-OTV.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 671
  • Kuc_TDA7297_08-OTV.JPG
    Kuc_TDA7297_08-OTV.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the inside. I'm running it on 12V, and the heatsink doesn't really get warm - we'll see how it behaves inside. But, the heatsink touches the inside aluminium "sled", so that might help a little. No heat paste or anything - but the chip doesn't get really hot on 12V, so I think it's OK.

The first image is the photo of the ebay kit, as purchased - I've done some mods on it, so it's not stock...
The other pics show the insides... Relatively messy, but I think it will be OK...
:)
Really nice, den_hr

I'm not sure about this chip, but if I'm not mistaken for the lm3886 you're supposed to use an insulation pad between the chip and heat sink if you're using the uninsulated chip (tf addon after the lm3886).

But again, I really like this amp. You've done a great job.

This is why I like opamps so much, you've just used a few square cm to build an amp while other amps can be a lot bigger and heavier with a load of power (Jeff Rowland concentra ii for example)

Kudos to you, really like it. Made my day!

Really nice, den_hr

I'm not sure about this chip, but if I'm not mistaken for the lm3886 you're supposed to use an insulation pad between the chip and heat sink if you're using the uninsulated chip (tf addon after the lm3886).

Thanks for the compliments - nice to see one's work appreciated :)
Even more so since it was done using really primitive tools (no drill press, no CNC machinery....)

As for heat dissipation, it shouldn't really be much of a problem - like I said, I've used it (albeit "open", without the case) on 12V, and the heatsink gets mildly warm...

More about this amp here: "What the heck? It's less than lunch!".

I assume that's 12v and a max of 1.25 amps minimum (at 15wpc output) which means this isn't really for battery power. Or is it? How are you powering this? Wall-wart? Separate PS? SLA battery?

Note it's NOT the insulated LM3886 (metal tab in the photo), so you should insulate between the chip and the heat sink if you haven't.

Ahhh, egg on my face!

Sorry, I didn't see that for some reason. I can't tell from the data sheet if the tab is connected (usually to ground) but it doesn't SEEM to be. Data sheet also doesn't claim to be high performance or anything like that, so now I'm REALLY curious how it sounds. Supply can be 6-18v, so wondering too how 12v sounds. At $5 shipped, that's quite an inexpensive amp!