Chip Amp Photo Gallery

I just pulled my LM3875 out if retirement for the day and am blown away at how good this sounds. I recall thinking it was a little light on the bottom end - but listening now it totally belies belief. It's fed by a Teddy Powerreg at 28.5V regulated rails and some tests I did today confirm just now effective the regulation is. It runs through an X-10D clone buffer with genalex gold lion 6922 valves and an alps blue velvet 10 ohm pot.
Lovely sound - detailed full and very easy to listen to.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I just pulled my LM3875 out if retirement for the day and am blown away at how good this sounds. I recall thinking it was a little light on the bottom end - but listening now it totally belies belief. It's fed by a Teddy Powerreg at 28.5V regulated rails and some tests I did today confirm just now effective the regulation is. It runs through an X-10D clone buffer with genalex gold lion 6922 valves and an alps blue velvet 10 ohm pot.

That is a nice and straightforward looking build. Clean and easy to follow (even with the blurry cell phone picture). How long has it been in retirement?

I switch things around. A lot. Too much for my wife to not notice and shake her head at me. Things (old and new) always sound much more different when you play audio through just one amplifier for a long time. Listening "fatigue" is what I call it and you start to favour one type more and more and you forget what the others sound like because your ears get too used to that one sound you are using.

Swapping it out with regularity keeps this condition away.

And that is the argument/reasoning I use when a new project, new amplifier, new vintage stereo, set of tubes, or a new set of boards and parts come rolling in. So build more amplifiers!

I just finished a first playing state of a Peter Daniel’s premium LM3875 Amplifier Kit. This one has a dedicated rectifier board per channel and unusual single 400Vac with centre tapped secondary windings, which I salvaged from an old Rotel power amp. Peter advised me not to use a single transformer, for the risk of getting a hum problem with two rectifier boards, but since I already had all the parts I gave it a try anyway. Fortunately I didn’t notice any hum yet. To use centre Tapped, means only using 4 diodes per side instead of eight. I also put in a slowstart board, which I’m not sure is needed but at least turning the amp on/off creates no audible noise which is what I was after.
This is my first experience with a Gainclone (and only the second amp I ever build from scratch) and I can already tell this is a seriously good amp, maybe a bit relentless even, I had to plug in my old speakers which are less analytical to keep things more musical. Obviously the new components still need to burn in but I’ve had a few goose bump moments allready.. :)

Thanks to everybody on this forum for inspiring me to build this amp.

For people still on the fence about one of these. This amp is ridiculously easy to build, even I could do it & Peter Daniel’s Kit’s make it even easier (www.audiosector.com)

Here are some pictures. I went for this form factor to match my Audio-GD NFB-28 DAC/Pre-amp.

Attachments

• untitled-2986_30_50.jpg
    untitled-2986_30_50.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,965
  • untitled-2991_30_70.jpg
    untitled-2991_30_70.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,921
  • untitled-2983_50_30.jpg
    untitled-2983_50_30.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 1,895
Some better pictures
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks Troy, but this is a different flavor of MyRef. These are Dario Inserra's Fremen Edition - RC version. Still haven't built the "Final" version, but the release candidate produces excellent sounds.

The bad channel is on one of the earlier V1.3 offerings from linuxguru. I still don't have that corrected - next week's priority. It's well worth the effort as the V1.3s produce an elegant "Class A" type sound when equipped with some of the modules Siva is developing. The opamps are socketed (as you can see similar in Gadut's photo above) and allow experimentation. The FEs are for the most part, SMD components and aren't as mod friendly.

Last edited: