Chip Amp Photo Gallery

Very nice and clean design, how does it sound? HAve you thought to add more caps to power supply or that design just fits your needs just the way it is?

(it seems like a dummy question LOL, sorry... )

Thanks for the feedback!
The sound is really amazing. Very crisp and detailed, but I feel it lacks a little bit of the deep bass, so yes, I have already ordered 1000uF caps for the rectifier. Not a dummy question at all, I just read about it yesterday :)

tommy_o: The casing is from RS electronics. RS partnr. 147-0163. The manufacturer is Fischer (pn: G 113 ME). I spray painted it in matte black.

BTW, can anyone recommend a simple DIY preamp with input selectors? I see most people use tubes, is that the easiest way? I am not really an expert in electronics, so it can't be too complex.

Thanks for the feedback!
The sound is really amazing. Very crisp and detailed, but I feel it lacks a little bit of the deep bass, so yes, I have already ordered 1000uF caps for the rectifier. Not a dummy question at all, I just read about it yesterday :)

tommy_o: The casing is from RS electronics. RS partnr. 147-0163. The manufacturer is Fischer (pn: G 113 ME). I spray painted it in matte black.

BTW, can anyone recommend a simple DIY preamp with input selectors? I see most people use tubes, is that the easiest way? I am not really an expert in electronics, so it can't be too complex.

Sorry, i mixed up the casings. This casing is actually RS partnr. 224-004. It is RS electronics own brand. As I said I paited it, since the original 2 colors aren't very nice.

Two years on...

I've finally got around to finishing my Peter Daniel's LM3875 amp. :eek: I completed the metal work two years ago and didn't feel the need to add the wooden bits until now. A few bits of MDF, birds eye maple veneer and some wax. A couple of hours each evening over a week and hey presto. :)

DSCF3594.jpg
DSCF3592.jpg

cheers

Jeff

BTW, can anyone recommend a simple DIY preamp with input selectors?

ob disc: I'm one of the developers of this. but give it a look, anyway (lol): The α10 Stereo Pre-amplifier

it has input selectors as well as volume control (relay r/2r stepped style using latching relays but later will have PGA chip support). all DIY and all buildable using thru-hole parts, so if you can solder, I think you can do it. (mods: if this is out of line, I will gladly delete this post of mine.)

slight return...

Nice looking amp Jeff.
May we have a look under the hood? (Bonnet)

Cheers,
BB

No big deal, I posted this picture two years ago (pre-wood!) but I guess I can be forgiven for showing it again.:)

topoff.jpg

Having revisited this amp for the side panels its got me thinking about tweeking. :rolleyes: Nothing too drastic because it sounds very nice to me (if it ain't broke...) but would a step attenuator add anything to mix?

Hello all,

I recently completed my NIGC in a plywood box, 300VA 12v, CarlosFM caps plus snubbers and P2P LM1876;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Previously in 2004 I made Thorsten's IGC and I was able to do a direct comparison, IGC thin and not very detailed, NIGC rounded, warm, very detailed and with a huge dynamic range.

I just finished mods to a CD723 as well and am now going to listen to my collection for the 'first' time.

My thanks to everyone whose posts I have gleaned the knowledge to do this from.

Jim

Thought I'd add my pics of my latest project I just finished. It a tube driven TDA7294 chip amp built from a Chinese eBay kit. I used two identical 24 volt transformers I've had sitting around forever. One for positive voltage and one for the negative, center tapped externally, and a Rat Shack tranny to power the tube. I replaced the Chinese tube with a NOS 5670WA. I used a dead Sony receiver for the case and built a simple front end out of cedar board. I used one of those fake ALP's stepper pots for the volume control. The amp can be driven to ear bleeding levels straight from a CD or phono preamp without a preamp. I'm probably going to drive it with a old NAD 1300 preamp ,I'm restoring, so I can use more than one input at a time, until I build a tube preamp to go with it.

Attachments

• 100_0401.jpg
    100_0401.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 2,113
  • 100_0407.jpg
    100_0407.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 2,062
  • 100_0410.jpg
    100_0410.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 1,999
  • 100_0402.jpg
    100_0402.jpg